SGI O2 Custom Paint Job

architeuthis

Feb 25, 2021
Just saw this o2 engineering prototype on eBay. Interesting!

I **really** like the custom paint job. Thoughts? Maybe the current owner is also on this forum? I'd be curious to learn how / where this was done...

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The color looks good, but the CD-ROM mod bothers me a bit.
I bought a solid impact graphics card from this seller a few years ago, he's located in Italy and also repairs sgi stuff. I think I should ask him if he could have a look at my dead V12 board.

Are you sure it's paint and they didn't just use a different plastic in the injection mold? Painting plastic and having it look decent takes some skill and experience. I have painted and refinished a lot of wood and metal, but never been what I'd describe as super-successful at painting plastic.

That does look gorgeous, and yeah they may have tried a different plastic first. I'm not sure what the CD mod accomplishes, as the CD sits about the interior case. So, unless that's modified too, no added airflow.

Edit: Just noticed the buttons look stock.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu