SGI Lip Sync 1993 Video Archival

artvandelay

Aug 29, 2023
Hi everyone! First time poster here but I'm a member over at Irixnet. Posted this over there and wanted to share it here as well.

A few years ago I purchased a couple VHS tapes of the recording of the 1993 Lip Sync contest at Shoreline Amphitheatre from former SGI employee (and Lip Sync M.C.) Mietta Rigali.

To me, these tapes perfectly capture the zeitgeist of Silicon Graphics' golden era. The kind of corporate culture that could never exist today in the same way, and would disappear not long after this recording.

I wanted to share this footage with the community and also reach out to ask if anyone has more SGI tapes they would be willing to lend me. I would be happy to archive them and send you the tape back.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Also have a couple Cray Research tapes archived in case anyone is interested in watching those as well.

Cray Safe Chemical Handling | Cray Asynchronous Transfer Mode Overview

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: flexion and bitpak

Zarchia

Aug 28, 2023
Really interesting to watch, thanks. (Archival-wise, the bit rate seems a little low, it's particularly noticable on the water at the start of part 2)

Unfortunately, at least in this part of the world, Warner Music Group appears to have already got to part 1 with a copyright claim.

You wouldn't consider uploading these to, say, archive.org, where they should be a little safer?

Reactions: artvandelay

artvandelay

Aug 29, 2023
Really interesting to watch, thanks. (Archival-wise, the bit rate seems a little low, it's particularly noticable on the water at the start of part 2)

Unfortunately, at least in this part of the world, Warner Music Group appears to have already got to part 1 with a copyright claim.

You wouldn't consider uploading these to, say, archive.org, where they should be a little safer?
I'm brand new to analog video capture so I'm still learning but I captured these with lossless Huffyuv encoding so bit rate on the capture file shouldn't be an issue. I do see what you mean at the water scene in part 2. Could be YouTube's encoding or the source just looks like that. I'll play the tape on my TV to have a look. There is a slow motion effect used at certain points.

Also I would definitely upload these to Archive.org, though I'm still refining my capture process and may do additional captures of this footage to achieve higher quality.

Reactions: flexion

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu