SGI German language 6512-BN keyboard

RBEmerson

Jan 3, 2021
SE PA US
I have an SGI German 6512-BN keyboard that flashes some sort of error code, but otherwise is non-op. I have a PS2/USB adapter in place, and it goes through a 6-port USB "concentrator". Since the three LED's light up, and blink, as the keyboard is powering up, the keyboard's getting power. OTOH, something is keeping data from moving, and the LED's flash in a distinct pattern, suggesting an error code. I've used the keyboard, with the PS2/USB dongle, on another desktop box (running Linux). Even without the 6-port concentrator, the keyboard simply doesn't like my current laptop.

Any help with troubleshooting this keyboard will be appreciated.

Roostie02

Aug 26, 2020
If you are not using a powered adapter, it will not work. PS/2 keyboards won't work with one of those adapters that simply changes the shape if the plug, unfortunately

RBEmerson

Jan 3, 2021
SE PA US
In the end, I dug out another PS2/USB dongle, this time an unpowered Y cable that combines a mouse PS2 port and a keyboard PS2 port. The 6512 is now working as expected. Why one dongle works and another doesn't work "is left as an exercise for the student".

Jetzt kann ich wieder auf Deutsch schreiben.
Schön Grüß aus Skippack, PA. :)

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I've seen some similar adapters, usually they are powered from the USB side and contain the microcontroller that does the protocol translation somewhere within the molded rubber around the cables.

The important part though is that they have an active component (e.g. microcontroller) doing that translation rather than just being a passive adapter. The passive adapters just connect PS/2 pins through to USB pins and rely on the PS/2 device recognizing that it is on a USB bus and speaking USB instead of PS/2, which some devices did during that transition period from PS/2 being common to USB being common.

Glad you got it working :)

RBEmerson

Jan 3, 2021
SE PA US
Hmmmm... There is a small block where the two PS2 cables meet the USB cable. I guess that's the active part of the cable.

It was good to go back to writing some friends, in German, with the keyboard. In fact, this reply is written with the keyboard. Woohoo!

Great thanks for the support.

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu