Sgi fuel for free, but its in Guadalajara Mexico

bsdero

Dec 16, 2023
Hi everyone.

I am about to move to other city in Mexico, so I am getting rid of all my retrocomputing stuff.

So I would like my old sgi fuel mips r14000 to have a new home. It has irix 6.5.30, two disks with 11 and 9 gbytes, 2 gbytes of ram. For free.

However:
-the machine is in GDL, Mexico. I can move it to some place in GDL within a reasonable distance.
-it seems to require the atx power supply from Kuba T.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Are you absolutely resigned not to ship it? A dead Fuel is still worth money but SGI collectors live all over the world. I'd easily offer you a fair price if you'd be willing to ship to the continental United States. It's broken So just be truthful and say it's a broken vintage computer for parts on the customs manifest and say it's worth a few hundred. There won't be a duty tax at that price and it's the truth. Let me know if you're open to an offer to buy + ship it.

As long as you have the bottom screw in place to hold the graphics card then it's just a normal PC case that can be easily packed and shipped at a shipping store.

pierocks

Mar 2, 2021
I have some family in GDL...I'll reach out and see if they'd be willing to hang on to it for me until the next time I get down there...

bsdero

Dec 16, 2023
I have additional pictures here, and a further description from the time when I bought it, 12 years ago:
SGI Fuel, 600Mhz R14K, 2GB RAM, V10 Graphics, IRIX 6.5

The last time the machine worked, was about 8 years ago. Then I turned off. In pandemya time I wanted to play with it again, but when turned on, the front light looks white and blinks. Nothing was shown in the screen. I thought that the Kuba Tyszko ATX power adapter would help me to resurrect the machine, so I bought one.

My ATX power supply converter never arrived -it disappeared in the Mexican state-owned postage company-.
Kuba kindly sent me another converter and sent to the US instead, but the person in the US receiving the other converter was my former boss and I quit. :)

I really wanted to do development and software ports, but has been complicated to get the piece. So I prefer somebody who knows the kind of machine gets it, rather than put into the thrash.

I would send to the US by UPS or Fedex, if somebody is interested and if I can get a decent money offer. I just would like to preserve my information and programs in my $HOME directory.

Of course if somebody else has family and want to get the machine for free, thats also possible, if they can come to my house or nearby to get the machine.

Anyway, the first in show real interest will get the price.

Please LMK if have some questions.

Attachments

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
If the symptoms you describe are accurate then we're missing a small piece of information. Normal blinking of the white LEDs is just part of the normal boot process. If it ever stopped doing that and didn't go to alternating white or red or go to blinking red then something is stopping the boot process that doesn't register to the board as an error, just hung boot with no error.

The only thing I could think of that might fail but stick the boot LED sequence might be a failed DS1780 IC on your V10 graphics card or mainboard from a bad PSU that's clamping down (active short) the sensor i2c bus. I'd hope it's just that simple. It is certainly a shame you didn't get farther in your troubleshooting back then but that happened to a lot of people after these failed and then took serial log tracing to get any real info.

Would you happen to be able to read your mainboard SGI part number? I'd be interested to know the part number and revision before I make an offer.

Thanks for the update!

bsdero

Dec 16, 2023
Hi, how can I read the SN of the mainboard?

Besides that, the machine keeps blinking for too much time, and dont boot as usual. It also does not turn red. Something is preventing it to boot.

Maybe I can do the diagnostics? Would help if I connect a serial cable and open a term?

Thanks

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Hi, how can I read the SN of the mainboard?

Thanks
On the extreme left edge of the board there will be an SGI PART NUMBER. It will start with 030-1707-00

and a Rev letter. On Fuel it's normally a white sticker and is place on the back left of the board. To the left of the brown PCI-X slots, on the boards left quadrant. it's just under where the last screw goes in to secure the peripheral ports to the back of the case.

You already know you have a bad power supply so please don't attempt to turn it on. You'll simply run the risk of causing damage. You're selling it as not working which is OK. It's going to be priced in for that.

Thanks!

dclough

Dec 26, 2023
Sending you a PM - I'm interested in what you'd like to get to ship this to the US.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu