SGI Colors for Paint

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Out of curiosity, does anyone have Pantone or even just RGB color codes for the major & minor color of various SGI machines? EG - what's the original green for an Octane, or the purple and the gray base color of an O2+ ?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
All I can say is many of my machines have definitely drifted from their original color, so it might be hard even with a Pantone color book 😄

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
The only problem with that is that images are not always colour accurate! Maybe take a look at the inside surfaces of your machines plastics, as they should be the original colour, and if not, pretty darn close!

Reactions: CRaven

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
The only problem with that is that images are not always colour accurate! Maybe take a look at the inside surfaces of your machines plastics, as they should be the original colour, and if not, pretty darn close!
If the original poster could do that they’d have no need to post their original question. Plus the standards quoted were web and/or print color standards.

If they had a studio color scanning pickup device then they might have a good enough starting place.

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Sadly not. The inside of my O2 is blue-er but doesn't seem to be untouched. I'm fairly sure my Octane2 is its original color. My Octane(1) shell is a very dark green and doesn't resemble the images I see like this:

In the SGI RGB colors file there are a couple colors that I'm curious about. One is labeled as "SGI Teal" / #388E8E:

That seems like it could be a match?

The other I saw in there was #8E388E for "SGI Beet". It doesn't look to me like the O2+ purple, maybe closer to the Indigo2?

These are the closest and "most officialest" feeling of them I've seen.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
My O2, Indy R5000, Indigo2 R4000, Octane, Octane2, Tezro, both IRIS Indigos and 320 Visual Workstation are all in their original colours.

The Indigo2 MAX IMPACT is darker than it originally was and the Onyx2 is now painted white.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Unfortunately exposure to heat also causes plastic to discolour. Therefore it would be better to look at the inside surfaces which are less exposed to heat when the machine runs.

Last edited:

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Not going to work so easily unfortunately as photographic shots of products would be subject to different lighting, lens and post processing techniques. I’ve asked our repro company a similar question related to vintage tamiya model kits - same answer. Also, which part of the product do you reference as almost every shot will have ever so slightly different levels of exposure or brightness across a surface. Unless you can find a perfectly uniformly exposed surface it’s gonna be tough. Closest you’ll get to is modern colour matching based on a near mint / non-UV / non-heat exposed sample I feel.

I’ve had about 6 original Octane skin sets, 2 in near mint condition and the closest colour matching areas were on the inside of the case.

You’ll get close with marketing material though, the teal and beet above look like Indigo2 colours to me. You'd get very close if you can find marketing material with colour register marks included...

Edit - Also, isn't the purple Tezro colour similar to an O2+? I've never seen a Tezro in the skin but from photos it looks very close. Though, some photos show the Tezro as blue rather than purple.

Your grey base for the O2+ may be something close to "SGI Darkgrey" aka Davys Grey #555555, rgb(85,85,85)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

bjjames

May 2, 2022
if You want to match the dark grey colour of the later systems, I have used Tamiya German Grey plastic sprat paint. The match is almost perfect. If you clear coat, use a satin clear. I refinished my 23” Sony monitors and external hard drives this way, see below:
F988105A-BCB8-4CA4-BB86-3C32340D71E7.jpeg

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu