SGI Boot Tunes

GameBreaker64

Jul 17, 2019
Does anyone have a download available for all the SGI startup sounds in high quality (preferably in standard format)? Thanks in advance!

MisterArgent

Aug 28, 2019
The Iris 4D jingle is a little more...uh, vaguely omenous... than I was expecting. I'd almost expect the machine to start spouting out cryptic numbers.

nintendoeats

Mar 9, 2020
Montreal, Canada
I'm really curious to hear these, I have started collecting SGI sounds. However, the one boot sound from that collection that I can verify immediately is the Indy, and it is wrong (or my Indy is horribly broken). The version in that collection is noticeably sped up, and ergo higher pitched.

Here is my recording: https://hallmonitor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IndyBoot.wav

You can see the speed difference in Audacity (my recording on the bottom).

Indy boot sound comparison.PNG

I think this is a sample rate conversion issue. Changing the speed by a factor of 0.918 (also known as 44100/48000, two common sample rates which might have been confused) seems to correct the problem:
Indy boot sound comparison fixed.PNG

Does anybody know the original source of these files? I'm curious how this could have happened.

Last edited:

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I would guess someone extracted them from a dump of the PROM? It would make sense if they found raw wave data but didn't know which sample rate to use.

nintendoeats

Mar 9, 2020
Montreal, Canada
I thought of that, but then why is there so much background noise and why do many of the clips seem to have very rolled-off lows? I would expect a ROM dump do be pristine, or at least to only contain high frequency noise.

It's possible that only indy_boot.aiff is a ROM dump, and nothing else is. It is a notably higher quality recording than the others (except the 4D).

On the other hand, both the indy_boot.aiff (high-quality) and indystart.wav (low-quality) are sped up like this, so maybe it is actually correct for that particular Indy. I wonder, did machines with the R5K have a faster version of the jingle than those with an R4XXX CPU? It's a different PROM, so it's not impossible. For comparison, mine is an R4400-[150].

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hm, that's interesting... Maybe someone just captured it on another UNIX machine and somewhere along the line it was converted with the wrong sample rate? I seem to remember a lot of the command line tools for doing such things force the user to make some choices about sample rates.

It would be kind of interesting at some point to go through those ROMs and find where the raw data is stored.

Reactions: nintendoeats

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
I'm really curious to hear these, I have started collecting SGI sounds. However, the one boot sound from that collection that I can verify immediately is the Indy, and it is wrong (or my Indy is horribly broken). The version in that collection is noticeably sped up, and ergo higher pitched.

Here is my recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g93pgloovlpxme8/IndyBoot.wav?dl=0
To me, it sounds like your recording is slower than it should be. I don't have my Indy on me, so I went to YouTube. In this video, the tune is seems to be more in line with the older recording than yours to my ears:

CiaoTime

Public Enemy Number One
Jan 15, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
To me, it sounds like your recording is slower than it should be. I don't have my Indy on me, so I went to YouTube. In this video, the tune is seems to be more in line with the older recording than yours to my ears:
Agreed with LarBob: I've handled a fair amount of Indy hardware over the years, and it seems to me like nintendoeats' recording is being played back too slow and low-pitched compared to the real machine.

nintendoeats

Mar 9, 2020
Montreal, Canada
I re-recorded my Indy, this time through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (the previous recording was through my AverMedia CD530 capture card).

https://hallmonitor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IndyBoot_2i2.wav

Both recordings agree with each other, and to my ear do sound the same as the device itself (I would hope so, otherwise I have to throw out all my assumptions about my audio equipment :p). However, I can also hear that the Indy in the video is clearly higher-pitched (and I assume therefore playing faster).

All I can say is, interesting. I don't know why mine would sound different. If it's a hardware fault, it's a weird and very specific one.

Last edited:

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
I re-recorded my Indy, this time through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (the previous recording was through my AverMedia CD530 capture card).

Both recordings agree with each other, and to my ear do sound the same as the device itself (I would hope so, otherwise I have to throw out all my assumptions about my audio equipment :p). However, I can also hear that the Indy in the video is clearly higher-pitched (and I assume therefore playing faster).

All I can say is, interesting. I don't know why mine would sound different. If it's a hardware fault, it's a weird and very specific one.
That is weird. I've never heard an Indy that sounds like yours. :p

I'd guess that there is something wrong.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu