SEGA MEGA DRIVE (GENESIS)

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
My Mega Drive arrived today and I started off by dismantling it and giving it a really good clean!

I've ordered Sonic the Hedgehog for it, but it's still in the post, so testing will have to wait unfortunately!

Here's the cleaned machine. It's not perfect, but an extremely good example considering it's age!

It's a rather early serial number!

I've got the Mega Drive running through the Indy, and it works quite well, as it displays at the proper resolution.

The RF OUT jack does not work with the Indy or an AV to HDMI converter, so I found. So you have to use the AV OUT.

I don't have an AV cable for the Mega Drive, so I looked up the pinout for the AV output on the back of the system, which is the following:

So I made up this cable for it:

I made up a proper DIN to RCA cable for my Mega Drives:

This video is a hardware overview of the SEGA Mega Drive:

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and rbz

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Ah nice, looks like a similar board revision to mine. The Indy display of composite 240p is not bad at all, looks cleaner than most TVs!

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
It's rather interesting how much the various revisions of the Mega Drive differed from each other! I have another Mega Drive that has the white plastic insert where the Power LED sits and it's board is considerably different to this one, and it also features allot if RF shielding, making it quite a bit heavier than this machine!

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu