RIP SiliconClassics

JackNet

Jun 16, 2019
Welp, all Silicon Classics YouTube content got wiped out. Was looking my SGI playlist and noticed videos got deleted that came from the channel. I was informed this was due to the current media climate; how stuff's toxic right now. At least announce it beforehand and move everything to Internet Archive...

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Honestly, I don't think this kind of protest is very effective at all. This debate around free speech is important. Personally, I have a feeling I wouldn't agree with you, but wouldn't you say it would be more constructive to talk about it?
Removing all your content just means that nobody will ever remember you, your opinion, or what you have to say about anything.

mamorim01

Oct 11, 2020
Spain
www.thegarage.space
The left can't be reasoned with, bargained with, or negotiated with - it can only be actively opposed on its own terms, which is to say by any means necessary. That's the point we've reached as a culture and you can mark my words that things are about to heat up in a way that you're not equipped to handle. Watch for it.
Welp. So sad to have to read this in here of all places, I used to watch your stuff and thought it was fairly entertaining.

Hope you find the peace you so desperately seem to need.

Last edited:

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I nuked my Twitter and YouTube in protest of their active suppression of free speech. I may eventually repost my content on better sites.
Sorry to hear :(

To echo some of what I said on the Discord chat:

For what it's worth, and speaking purely from a personal perspective, I am also very disappointed with how cool and in vogue censorship has become over the past few years. I've even had friends try to tell me that it's not censorship because YouTube / Twitter aren't run by the government.

Certainly as private enterprises what they're doing is not a 1st amendment violation, nor illegal, and well within their rights, and I wouldn't advocate trying to change that. But, it is most definitely censorship and is still behavior that should be called out and discouraged.

Simply put, I value free speech. I think it was one of the great libertarian ideals that the Internet was founded on, on private platforms no less, and was a significant tenet of early Internet culture. Endorsing free speech means tolerating peoples' ability to say things that you may vehemently disagree with, or may even believe harmful. Sadly this seems to be something fewer and fewer are capable of, or even believe in.

That all said as someone who enjoys Silicon Graphics and videos of Silicon Graphics, I think what I'd ask for (given as much right as I have to ask for anything, which is very little) would be at least a single video on the YouTube channel explaining the situation and where the content went, along with a link to the new place it was uploaded. Implying of course that it would be good to upload your valued content somewhere else instead of consigning it to the bit bucket. :)

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
Honestly, I don't think this kind of protest is very effective at all
the key is that enough people do it. like every business social media companies solely depend on their customers. if the number of users drops too much they can close shop. hence this is in fact the best protest method of all. and unfortunately the only one they understand.

Reactions: Silicon Classics

mach_kernel

Administrator
Dec 26, 2019
New York City
github.com
That's the point we've reached as a culture and you can mark my words that things are about to heat up in a way that you're not equipped to handle. Watch for it.
I come here to avoid thinking of my peers as "the left" or "the right". It eventually becomes a barrier for seeing positive change because some things require working together. This just keeps stoking the fire some more. This is how they keep us poor and stupid, btw! I have been hearing the "watch out, you're not ready to handle it" trope for about two years now and nothing has happened. It is, in the most polite way possible, corny.

EDIT: Reading this later on I noticed one part absent that I think is important: your videos are cool and I honestly thank you for hooking me up with those skins. I just wanted to say that I'd rather see you do something rather than find a convenient scapegoat because it's how we all lose.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu