Reset root password while logged in as root?

wowbobwow

Oct 16, 2019
Hi all,
I've got a lovely Indigo2 "High Impact" system and it's a pleasure to use. However, I'm stuck in a slightly frustrating / slightly stupid scenario:
My Indigo2 boots and automatically logs into IRIX 6.5 as the root user. Nice!

However, I cannot figure out what my root password is - it's not blank, and it's not any of the usual passwords I typically use for vintage OS stuff. I must have set it years ago but I'm going in circles and I can't figure it out.

I've found some guides that instruct me to boot from my IRIX installation CD (which I have), but that's been difficult too, because my machine just boots and never gives me the button to click to interrupt the boot process, so I can't boot from the CD.

Any tips here would be welcome - I hate being partially locked out of my own system!

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Why do you need to know what your current password is, if you are logged in as root?

Edit /etc/passwd or run `passwd` and just set a new one.

As far as boot, if you press ESC during "Starting up the system", it should bring up the menu.

Reactions: wowbobwow

wowbobwow

Oct 16, 2019
Why do you need to know what your current password is, if you are logged in as root?

Edit /etc/passwd or run `passwd` and just set a new one.

As far as boot, if you press ESC during "Starting up the system", it should bring up the menu.
This is great, thank you! I tried passwd initially but it wouldn't let me reset the password (I should've noted the error), but after a reboot back into the root account, it worked fine and I'm back in business. Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Reactions: doc

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu