Rendering the Cray 2 Supercomputer in Maya 6.5 using an SGI Tezro

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I basically completed the heat exchanger this evening, I now just need to add the LED's on the top panels within the machine and the CRAY logo to the plexiglass part of the heat exchanger. (The logo will have to be built up out of polygons!)

Last edited:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I'm pondering releasing this scene as "Uncle Nick's Cray Test.blend", for testing high end computers. (Although every vertex in this scene was placed using the Tezro, the final output unfortunately won't be able to be rendered on any SGI that I know of!)

It's currently taking +- 45 minutes to render this single frame on my Mac! (This machine took 4 seconds to render test.blend, which takes 1 minute and 6 seconds to render on my Tezro!)

I'm currently only using one external texture in the scene (Concrete for the rear wall) and I need to find out if Blender is able to store such a file in the .blend file, thus allowing it to be transportable?

I still need to add the Cray logo and some other finishing touches, but here it is:

The .blend file has also become rather large: (So this could also be a bit of a problem!)

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's the final rendering of this project, it's now as complete as it's going to be! (For now anyway, as I didn't get enough information from the available photographs to accurately place the LED's on the top panels inside the machine (As this machine is unique), so they've been omitted for now!)

It's been rendered in 4K:

Next I'm going to model a Thinking Machines Corporation CM-2!!!! (Connection Machine)

Last edited:
Reactions: rbz and flexion

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
I wonder if any of the latest updates of 3d software for SGI (Softimage, Maya, PA) got things like global illumination, ambient occlusion shaders and subsurface scattering?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu