R3K Indigo Power-on diagnostics: SCSI controller failed

Zarchia

Aug 28, 2023
Hopefully a fairly simple question.

I have a R3000-based Indigo that's reporting that the SCSI controller has "failed". I think this is most likely because it doesn't have any SCSI devices connected. However, I've not been able to locate documentation confirming this, other than a forum post suggesting this is also the case for an Indigo 2.

Can anyone confirm my theory? I'd like to know if I'm in for finding a sled (I may have one in storage somewhere) and a SCSI drive to get it working, or if I'm in for a repair project.

Hoping it's just the lack of a drive!

CB_HK

Jun 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I’ve had that issue occur without a drive installed in my Indigo as well. I’d lean toward that being the issue especially if there are no other drives (tape, for instance) installed. I believe the systems faults due to no device attached to the bus and not being terminated. Once you have a disk in it shouldn’t throw that error (unless there is a separate issue with the drive).

Zarchia

Aug 28, 2023
Thank you. It's reassuring that it's likely a simple-to-resolve problem.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu