Question on disk device files on non SGI disks

jaholden

Jan 31, 2022
Hey all,

A friend of mine has asked if I can dd image a SCSI disk he has.

It‘s not SGI partitioned or formatted, maybe MBR or Sun. Will it show up as only /dev/dsk/dksXdYvol where X and Y are controller and device?

ie: I can dd the whole disk from start to finish regardless of partition scheme.

Thanks,

j

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Although I have not tried attaching a disk without an SGI disklabel in IRIX, I expect you would see the vol device show up and that does represent the entire disk. Perhaps verify the size of the dumped file?

jaholden

Jan 31, 2022
Although I have not tried attaching a disk without an SGI disklabel in IRIX, I expect you would see the vol device show up and that does represent the entire disk. Perhaps verify the size of the dumped file?
Thanks! That’s what I suspected. I guess I’m looking for a the equivalent of /dev/sdX on Linux.

I suppose another way of putting it would be “how does Iris see an unpartioned disk?”

TruHobbyist

Jul 27, 2019
Hiya!

Sure you can just plugin the drive and it will allow you to access it through raw and cooked mode for both *vol and *vh (at the very least). This should be enough to dd it.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu