PS/2 peripherals wireless?

liquidkoshman

Dec 31, 2022
Czech Republic
Hey,

A month ago I got the yearly bonus at work and thanks to Doug Mashek was able to upgrade my Indy to the max. Minus some faulty RAM which I have since replaced the machine works like a charm.
While I do have the original peripherals that came with it I was wondering about modern replacements, most importantly the mouse. It's still not a problem to buy a cheap new PS/2 mouse locally, but I was wondering if it is possible to get a wireless PS/2 mouse at all, even used? I have used in the past some Logitech keyboard+mouse combos that had PS/2 dongles, but I don't know if those would be Indy (or generally SGI) compatible?
I have the simple green dumb PS/2 - USB adapter and tried connecting 2 wireless mice I own but no luck.
I will be thankful for any tips, thank you!

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
IIRC you can't just plug in any modern USB mouse to an USB<->PS2 dongle. The mouse needs to support this 'legacy' mode, like the original 1996 Microsoft IntelliMouse (USB) does.

I had a wireless infrared mouse for my 486 in ca 1993. This would probably work and fits the era of the Indy, but unfortunately 'unobtanium' :(

486.jpg

Zarchia

Aug 28, 2023
Active USB to PS/2 adapters definitely exist, so I assume you could plug the wireless dongles into the USB ports - although composite devices might cause some trouble (and a bluetooth dongle isn't going to work!)

Unfortunately, they're very difficult to find, partly because they were rare, but also because they're hidden under a mountain of passive adapters (that require support within the mouse/keyboard) and active adapters going the other way.

I have found one by Vetra: http://www.vetra.com/327Utext.html (although, the post from 2021 where I found the link reports the company said they were planning to redesign it).

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu