Prefix for ports and packages?

What path should be used for ported software?

• /usr/local/

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • /opt/sgug/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • /opt/sgi.sh/

• /usr/sgug/

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • /usr/srepo/

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hi all,
There has been a lot of talk over a standardized path for new ported software for IRIX. Many people have had different suggestions, and so @HAL suggested opening up a poll.

• You can suggest a maximum of two choices to be added to the poll if they do not already exist, by posting them in this thread
  • You can vote for one choice, and can change that vote at any time up until the poll closes if you see something appear that you like better
  • The poll will close if there hasn't been a lot of activity for a few days
I will open it up with the following collection of suggestions from Discord: /usr/local/, /opt/sgug/, and /opt/sgi.sh/

There were more suggestions there but I will wait for people to post them in the thread before adding them :)

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
Hm... should it be SGUG or SGIdev? I thought SGIdev was the actual dev stuff. I guess it doesn't really matter much.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I don't think there has been too much thought about whether to keep the names separate or converge to the User Group name, but if you want an sgidev path it can certainly be added as an option / suggestion :)

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
/opt is traditionally used for commercial stuff and /usr/local is too general so my vote for /usr/sgug

Reactions: Elf
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu