Possible run of O2 / Octane Dallas RTC replacement PCB modules

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hi guys,

I've been in touch with Glitch who can produce Dallas DS1687-5 RTC replacements for the SGI Octane & O2 as they both use the same RTC. They are a custom pcb with a replacement coin cell lithium battery that fits in to the Dallas socket on the main board. Here is an example from the website: http://www.glitchwrks.com/2018/03/17/gw-1244-1

I am gathering data on how many people would like to order, I am not sure on the price yet but will update the thread when I have this information.

Please copy/paste the list as you respond going forward:
(so it is easier for me to compile later)

For reference later, I found some great instructions for what to do after replacing the Dallas:
https://bukosek.si/hardware/collection/sgi-o2.html

stormy x2 units

Last edited:

carbide

Aug 11, 2019
stormy x2 units
massive x5 units
Elf x1 unit
gijoe77 x6 units
callahan x4 units
carbide x2 units

bamdad

Aug 22, 2019
stormy x2 units
massive x5 units
Elf x1 unit
gijoe77 x6 units
callahan x4 units
carbide x2 units
bamdad x1 unit

glitchwrks

Jun 18, 2020
Central VA
www.glitchwrks.com
Hi folks, I'm the guy making the replacement modules! I've got them waiting for approval on Tindie (they still hand-check every new listing). I built these for a customer who had some industrial control equipment that used DS1687-5s, we've had them in 24/7 operation for a few years now. They're made with a Dallas DS1685-5 (the chip inside a DS1687-5) so they should work anywhere a DS1687-5 is used.

The -5 suffix means it's a 5V part, so it won't work in place of a DS1687-3. I don't know if any SGI gear uses the 3.3V part (nothing I have does), but if there's demand for it, I can run those too!

I have repair boards for other Dallas chips, including the DS1286, which is used in the Indigo/Indigo2, but I can't get new chips to make those modules. For those, I do offer a repair service, where you send your dead module in, or you can do it yourself and buy the repair board. Using the repair board doesn't require digging around in epoxy, trying to be careful not to cut certain leads. Instead, you make a few low-precision cuts on the sides of the modules (I use a hacksaw) then split the encapsulation off with a small chisel and hammer. The repair module glues on and replaces both the crystal and battery.

EDIT: stormy isn't the handle I was thinking of!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

CiaoTime

Public Enemy Number One
Jan 15, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey, awesome! I think I've purchased about a dozen of those repair boards over the last year and a bit: the hacksaw trick works wonderfully on the old SPARCStation NVRAM chips. Glad to see you here, and I might grab a few replacement Dallas's when they're up on Tindie.

stormy x2 units
massive x5 units
Elf x1 unit
gijoe77 x6 units
callahan x4 units
carbide x2 units
CiaoTime x2 units

callahan

Jul 20, 2019
What about the Indy? I believe it's a DS1386? Would the Indigo2 fix work on it as well?

glitchwrks

Jun 18, 2020
Central VA
www.glitchwrks.com
What about the Indy? I believe it's a DS1386? Would the Indigo2 fix work on it as well?
No, you can't use different part numbers like that. I think I already have a DS1386 repair board; if not, it's easy enough for me to run one. The chip inside the DS1386 module is no longer available, so old dead modules have to be rebuilt to make new GW-1386-1 modules.

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
Installed mine today. My only observation was the pins are spaced a little to far apart so I had press them in a little to make it fit. Took me a few tries, bent one pin. So proceed with caution but if you are doing this you already knew that.

IMG_0589.jpg

Reactions: Elf

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Yep, ordered mine as well. By the way, is there a way to backup the nvram so when I install the new battery I can just restore the settings?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu