Porting devilutionX to Irix 6.5

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Hi,

some of you might remember the game Diablo1 which was released in 1996 for Microsoft operating systems.
The game was a great success for Blizzard and received an Add-on called Hellfire a year later.
In 2018 a project started to reverse-engineer Diablo1 and make it available on other platforms like macos, Haiku aso.,
so we thought it was time to figure out if it was possible to port it to Irix 6.5 too.

So far we built devilutionX and can start it, but we still have some problems with the path to the file that actually contains all of the game-data.
Our 1st effort is also built against SDL1.2 which has some limitations compared to SDL2 which e.g. allows upscaling to higher resolutions.
I will update this thread as we make progress...

devilutionX.jpg

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Today I hooked up my devilutionX-spec against a clone of Erno's repo of the brandnew v1.2.0 of DevilutionX and eventually managed to build and rpm-ify the latest version of devilutionX. There are still some issues with the sound coming from SDL2 which needs a little more love. The latest release autodetects if the addon Hellfire is installed and starts it up.

Attachments

Reactions: Elf and chulofiasco

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
I have just found out that it is possible to change the resolution of the window in which you are playing DevilutionX. This is done in the diablo.ini under ~/.local/share/diasurgical/devilutionx where you can find many other useful settings. Default resolution is 640x480, here is a screenshot of a 1920x1200 desktop with DevilutionX in a 1280x960 window.

0C28B6D9-C581-4F35-A8A2-EE55D93FB081.jpeg

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
This is pretty cool! I've installed it on my octane according to diablo_install.txt but when starting devilutionX I get:

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 142 (DOUBLE-BUFFER) Minor opcode of
failed request: 1 (DBEAllocateBackBufferName) Serial number of failed
request: 26 Current serial number in output stream: 40
INFO: No message system available
INFO: SDL Error INFO: FOURCC pixel formats are not supported
The error occurred at: SourceX/dx.cpp line 76
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
any idea?

onre

SYS 64738
Feb 8, 2019
Toijala, Finland
Looks like it fails to get a surface to render things on. Which machine, which display card, what color depth? I've only done testing with Octane + SI at 24bpp because that's all I have.

Reactions: flexion

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for the hint!! Had to change Xserver color depth to 24bit!! It's working now!!! COOOL :D
Octane with simple IMPACTSR GFX

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu