OpenSSH_8.1p1 [Terminal] - UTF-8 and Setlocale: Error 0 [OSX]

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
Just note so it's on the internet. If you see Setlocale : Error 0 in your terminal after logging to into your SGI it's most likely trying to use UTF-8

Rigel:SGUG mgt$ ssh -X saiph
mgt@saiph's password:
Last login: Sat Jul 4 06:13:32 2020
Setlocale : Error 0
Type xterm-256color unknown
xterm-256color not supported changing to xterm
en_US.UTF-8 not supported changing to en_US

In my .bashrc [in Irix] I added 2 tests.. 1 for xterm-256color and a new one for en_US.UTF-8. Below is also a csh version you can drop into your .cshrc as needed.

######BASH VERSION
#Change OSX term
if [ $TERM == "xterm-256color" ]; then
echo "xterm-256color not supported changing to xterm"
export TERM=xterm
fi

#LANG
if [ $LANG == "en_US.UTF-8" ]; then
echo "$LANG not supported changing to en_US"
export LANG=en_US
fi

########CSH VERSION
#Change OSX term
if ( $TERM == "xterm-256color" ) then
echo "xterm-256color not supported changing to xterm"
setenv TERM xterm
endif

#LANG
if ( $LANG == "en_US.UTF-8" ) then
echo "$LANG not supported changing to en_US"
setenv LANG en_US
endif

Obviously you can use whatever LANG support you normally use. Check your locale from your keyboard on the SGI to see it, and then use that.

[mgt@saiph ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_ALL=

-Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
Irix .. sorry I can see how that would be confusing. Translate into your favorite shell obviously.

I replaced my neko_sshd with sgug_sshd and see no problems. If I have chance this week I'll expand the sgug_sshd to handle key generation and submit for the post install script section of the RPM.

Added: ok so the morning was slow I wrote a solid base init.d script and submitted it as issue at GitHub.
Linky to here sshd.init

Last edited:

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
Irix .. sorry I can see how that would be confusing. Translate into your favorite shell obviously.
you might wanna edit your first post and point that out explicitly. especially since irix has csh by default and all the major programs assume csh as well.

Reactions: mgtremaine

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu