Onyx4 UltimateVision issues (#1 console=g)

Woof

Aug 5, 2022
Hi! I have a few issues with an Onyx4, built from parts. The first issue is trying to start-up with console=g, which won't and needs startgfx manually running to get to a login screen. Consequently it doesn't start with the UltimateVision boot screen.

Once started it works as expected. This is currently being built-up from O350 parts, and has further issues, but this is the first and I'll post the others as it progresses. I've attached the system manager output, and you can see the SG2 graphics is present and working.

Any ideas? Do any documents exist for what needs doing to convert O350s?

Thanks!

Attachments

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Maybe look in chkconfig for X-windows related things that aren't switched on? You might also want to check which init runlevel you are in once you boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woof

Woof

Aug 5, 2022
It's booting correctly with a G2 brick on the XIO (boot screen and textport), so it's an issue to solve with the G2N brick (which is something for another time).

What's the graphics memory size supposed to be on the ATI cards? Were there multiple types? The Porting Guide says FireGL X2-256 (FGL 9800) but I see online in various hinvs (and in my screenshot above) 128MB. The manual talks about SG2 and SG2.1 cards, but the only difference mentioned is the DVI supporting digital on only one connector not two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

CiaoTime

Public Enemy Number One
Jan 15, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
The only thing that comes to mind is that I couldn't get the boot screen to come up on my LCD unless it was being run through a DVI -> VGA adapter. Seems like it would only come up on the analog output of only one card. That was just with the default configuration on my install: I'd never really messed with it all that much at the time.

The cards in my machine are ATI FireGL X1's with 256mb each, reported as SG2 in hinv. They're the originals from factory.

Reactions: Elf and Woof

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu