Onyx2 holy grail machine

mr-reason

May 15, 2020
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some input as to the value of an Onyx2 I own that has been sitting for a while.

Vaguely considering selling, but then again maybe not. It's kind of a holy grail Onyx2 - quad 600Mhz CPUs, 8Gb ram, dual rasterizers with the 8 head output, CD, OS install CDs .. software, etc. I'd have to boot it and HINV for an exact listing. Case is in great shape, and I have a working 24" SGI CRT that goes with it. It all works (works great as a fan heater) and booted up fine last time I switched it on. I am in California (Silicon Valley). The machine was originally from NASA - I ugraded the CPUs and have the original boards, I think 200Mhz.

I have some other stuff - a fuel, Max Impact Indigo 2 .. CD Roms, etc. Anyhow would love to have an opinion. thanks!

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
It's hard to speak to prices, but I think there would be a few people around who are interested in all of those machines :)

Last time I bought a Fuel they were in the $800 range, and the Indigo 2s maybe in the $300 range? However since then SGIs in general have become so rare that there is really no standardized pricing anymore, it is just whatever (usually quite high) price people are willing to pay for it.

On the Onyx 2, all I can say is "probably more than $1.2k" if working properly, on today's market, but obviously that is just a lower bound :p

Last edited:

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
I'd love a deskside, but a) I'm in Canada and b) lots of the prices are totally insane on eBay. At the end of the day, they are cool collectors machines but I'm not going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars. I'd pay $1000 USD for an onyx2 like that though, not including shipping, if one came up. Don't think I would go higher tho. Then again, I'm sure you could fetch more for it if someone wanted it very badly. Sometimes these things sit around for months tho without selling. The larger systems are a lot harder to move cause of their heft.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu