Octane V12 output not working with Extron VGA switch?

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hi all,

I'm not sure why but my 4-port Extron VGA switcher doesn't seem to be picking up the VGA signal from my V12 Octane. If I run a cable direct to the monitor it works, but it just isn't detecting a signal. Res is 1920x1200@60. If I put the Octane into my Extron DVS 304 scaler, it works and outputs DVI - but honestly I prefer to just go via VGA because the Extron scaler isn't 100% perfect, the fonts/output seem to be a bit aliased/blurry, I tried the pass-through setting but it doesn't work.

Anyway this is more about my Extron VGA switcher. This DID used to work, but in recent times it just started to become unreliable. I opened up the switcher to inspect and found that on the PSU board the 22uf 400v capacitor was leaking, so I replaced it. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem - the switcher works with all my other VGA devices though, so I think it's working ok.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hard to say, especially if it used to work and became intermittent or unreliable. If it works with other sources but not the SGI, perhaps something is failing with the sync (SoG) detection?

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
@Elf interesting theory, I suppose it's possible. I didn't realise that the switcher itself detects depending on sync type. I guess I'll just use the DVS 304 for the Octane from now on, it's just a shame about the output quality not being pixel perfect - I bet it's fixable but all the picture input/output options confuse me, there are so many.

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
No problem; just a guess, but I would think it wants to latch on to sync as the method of indicating that there is a valid signal present on a given input port.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu