Octane internal SCSI adapter experience

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi All,

I tried again to get the SCSI2SD to work internally on the octane. That aside, I have this adapter that is typically used in a sled for DAT or floppy drives. I tried it with no jumpers, and Wirth a jumper on 0, and a jumper on 1, no luck, Octane came up saying there is a problem, no drive, check cables etc. SCSI2SD aside, does anyone have experience with what if any jumpers are necessary for internal connection?

Thanks.

KB

Attachments

rbz

Sep 18, 2020
Did you try toggling the terminator enable on the SCSI2SD itself?

Also is there a part number for that adapter? seems to be the unicorn 50 pin to male SCA

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Just the part numbers you see on it. Yes, I did try termination on and off.
Thanks.

KB

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
So, I’ve not seen these, nor have a seen an example setup working in the wild. But assuming this was compatible with an Octane and all that noise.

This was made for tape and such, wasn’t there something in the Octane setup manual about which slots you should use a tape in?

Just by chance did you try each of the three drive slots? Maybe I’m thinking of an Indigo but my guess would be this should be on the later (higher slots)?

Also, since this takes away Octane SCSI configuration control (blocks it), you’ll need to match the options the octane uses by default so it won’t know the difference.

By that I mean SCSI ID, Parity, termination, etc. if you could find a Octane tape sled settings, I’d mimic that to start.

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Not sure about on Octane; however, I have used this inside a Mac SE.
You will need to add a terminator on the either external SCSI port or on the SCSI ribbon itself as shown in the picture.

R

Attachments

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
An Octane is a WIDE SCSI bus (NOT Ultra WIDE, just Wide), this terminator is for a NARROW SCSI bus...you'd be leaving all the Wide pins unterminated...likely won't work, unless it THEN hits the terminator for the backplane which DOES terminator all pins...

jupo

Jul 9, 2019
Tucson, AZ
Just a quick FYI on the terminator topic, the external SCSI port on the Octane is a totally separate bus from the internal one. Nothing attached to the external side will have any effect on the internal one.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu