Octane crashing, Cache errors.

iarechachi

Feb 23, 2024
Hello,

I have an Octane that crashes frequently with a Cache Error. When I reset it, it says SCSI internal controller diagnostic failed and SCSI external controller diagnostic failed, Check or Replace system board IP30. However, I can just continue and start the system up.

I have tried replacing the IP30 but the system will not complete the boot. I don’t know if I need to make a configuration change when swapping out the IP30.

I am not very familiar with these systems, it just happens to be running a piece of equipment that I work on. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Hi,
While I'm not super familiar with your error, I can say that searching old posts that this situation, that is your original complaint and symptom, can be caused by one of the SCSI drives failing in the chain. Can you please tell us what you have connected to the system internally and externally on the drive controllers?

The SCSI Drive system itself can have cache errors and not the CPU. Drives often have a cache used when pulling data and if the data is corrupted it'll signal an error. The data can become corrupted for a number of reasons. But normally it's a drive specific issue.

I would say if you only have one hard drive in it, then get a known working SCA 80 SCSI Hard drive off eBay and install it temporarily and boot the system to Firmware screen (PROM) and see if you suddenly have the start up errors during diagnostic or not. If you hear the drive start up and you don't see the errors then your old drive is failing.

This is not 100% guarantee but it's the easiest thing to start with. Change or eliminate the drives on your system with spares and see if the error goes away. I have a feeling you're seeing a local drive cache error and it's a sign of failing drive along with aata corruption.

Let us know if you discover additional symptoms.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu