O2 with no memory -- console output?

sangelov

May 30, 2022
hi all,

i got an O2 the other day (sold without any description of the specs) -- it turned out all DIMM modules are missing which was not pleasant. that was somehow compensated by the processor which seems to be R12000 at 400Mhz with the 2048 Kb L2 cache.

i was thinking even without the RAM i would get something on the serial console (POST error or some diag errors) but nothing appears and status is a blinking amber led (which is fine, no RAM right). there is no keyboard/mouse connected and if i try the vga output, nothing shows as well.

serial cable/setup should be ok as it works with my octane box. can i test in any other way or is it totally not possible to verify system is alive without any DIMM modules?

thanks & best regards,
Stoyan

Last edited:

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi, the O2 will not post without any ram in my experience. At least you have the 400Mhz processor, those are quite hard to come by....but then again so is the RAM...!

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu