O2 Unexpected exceptions.

ipmungam

Mar 11, 2023
Howdy -- I'm new to sgi gear. I found a beat up O2 on the sidewalk the other day and now I'm in this forum.

Cleaned it up as best I could, it does start (with green LED) into PROM but won't boot, "dks0d2s8[and s0]: drive is not ready" messages.

I've reset the PROM now so it doesn't even try to boot. Rather noisy whirring suggests the hard drive is spinning.

Downloaded an IRIX 6.5 iso and burned it to CD (from Mac OSX). Installing from PROM options seems to read the CD but immediately throws errors like
"Exception: <vector=Normal> [...lots of what look like memory addresses...] PANIC: Unexpected exception"

Second attempt followed guide online to boot from a network linux box, however boot -f bootp()/stand/fx.ARCS immediately throws very similar errors like
"Exception: <vector=XUT> [...] PANIC: Unexpected exception"

Both these behaviours always repeatable, with what look like different exception details but all with same PANIC conclusion.

Any and all thoughts most welcome -- it would be great to know if it is worse than just a bad hard drive before I try to source a replacement disk.

epitaxial

Feb 28, 2023
Congrats on your good fortune. IRIX 6.5 is a number of isos. Foundations and overlays being the big major ones. I don't know how OSX handles isos but you have to make sure they are burned the correct way. If they are burned correctly they won't be readable on a mac or pc. While in the prom run printenv and post the results.

ipmungam

Mar 11, 2023
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I checked the CD and OSX couldn't read it.
And the network boot reports "Obtaining /stand/fx.ARCS from server", so seems to be reading the linux filesystem alright (or at least the filename).

I reset the PROM (version 4.10) so now output of printenv is pretty vanilla:

AutoLoad=Yes
console=g
diskless=0
dbaud=9600
volume=80
sgilogo=y
monitor=h
TimeZone=PST8PDT
crt_option=1
netaddr=192.168.1.57
ConsoleOut=video()
ConsoleIn=keyboard()
cpufreq=195
eaddr=
[omitted]
gfx=alive
videostatus=illegal_env_var

ipmungam

Mar 11, 2023
Thanks again. Seems the immediate problem was some bad RAM, which has been removed. Both CD-ROM and network files seem readable now; ran diagnostics and RAM and CPU tests all passed, but scsi disk failed. So finding a new hard disk seems to be the next step.

epitaxial

Feb 28, 2023
Good timing here as I was just going to suggest re-seating the memory and hard drives when a notification appeared. My O2 started throwing memory errors after sitting for a few years and re-seating all of them fixed the problem.

If you cleared the prom variables you'll need to add some back in before it will boot the installed OS. Again, this happened to me and the error it generates isn't at all helpful.

IMG_2979.JPG

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu