o2 serial control what type of cable do I need?

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
I have a display adapter that should work but it says out of range, So someone told me to control it via com/serial. does an o2 need to have a null modem rs232? Can anyone suggest one for usb? Also Can I have my display cable plugged in when using com? I read that. I cannot have a keyboard or mouse plugged into the system while using com.

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
I just reinstalled my O2 with IRIX 6.5.22 and verified that when you plug in a terminal in COM1 you get a login prompt. it does not matter if there is keybd/mouse already plugged in.
I use a HPLX as a terminal (fits into pockets), but whenever I need a larger screen, I use the USB2Serial adapter with a null-modem cable connected to my linux laptop and connect using the "screen" command.

IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3744.JPG

• Love
Reactions: siliboi

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
..console access to "power on diagnostics menu" on power up only appears when you unplug keyboard and mouse.

View attachment 879
I've never used screen so you just type screen and everything connects what kinda setup do I need

edit : apparently is pretty easy got it working and now and reset the graphics with setmon and now it works! now I just need to figure out a way to get 16:9

Last edited:
Reactions: flexion

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu