O2 power supply always working

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi All, for some this may be obvious but is new to me. I have unfortunately been working a lot and haven't fired up my O2 for 2 weeks. Today I had to unplug my computers from the UPS in order to change my computer desk. To my surprise my O2 power supply was warm to the touch. So clearly it is doing some work all the time. I would like to prolong its life as much as possible since replacements are scarce. What do you guys do?

Cheers,

KB

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
They do always draw some power, you can even set them to boot at a specific day/time. If you have a kill-o-watt or some other watt meter you can check how much draw is going through it at rest, I seem to remember it being in single digits (I wanna say 5-6 watts). I can get my out and check if you need a comparison.

-Mike

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Yes, standby power is always going when plugged in. Personally I disconnect all my old machines from power when not in use because I don't want to take the risk of them shooting flames out the back when unattended. However, it's worth noting that many people say leaving them on reduces the chance of power-on failures. Presumably due to heat-cycling?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu