O2 nfs vs Octane nfs

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I'm trying to troubleshoot network speeds, specifically nfs transfer speeds, between my raspi server and my O2. I seem to cap out at 5MB/s on the O2, when I plug my Octane in on the same cable and same nfs settings I get the full (well, near full) 10MB/s transfer speeds.

I've even tried with another O2 mobo, thinking there might be something wrong but alas, the same speed is reached.

FTP transfer speeds are at full ~10MB/s on both machines.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
which irix version?
there were nfs problems specific to the o2 with the mid 6.5.2x releases.

also what o2 is that? r5000? r10000? r12000? ...

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
What is the cpu usage like on each machine? Does osview from the console give you any clue as to a difference in performance?

This could be related to the ethernet hardware or implementation in each system. The Octane was "higher end" and had better bandwidth over the bus than the O2 did.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
What is the cpu usage like on each machine? Does osview from the console give you any clue as to a difference in performance?

This could be related to the ethernet hardware or implementation in each system. The Octane was "higher end" and had better bandwidth over the bus than the O2 did.
The Octane sits at 50-60% on a single 400mhz R12k, the R12k O2 at about 70-80%, the 300Mhz Rm5200 (call it R5k) about 80-95%. The latter will sometimes peak at 100%, but the R12k's always have some free cycles left.

Ram usage is OK, not even the 384mb on the O2 is used fully. File size being transferred has no bearing, I tend to test with a 150MB file.

Both machines are 10/100 and like I said ftp maxes both machines network bandwidth fully, it's nfs on the O2 that's running at half capacity up/down.

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
No problem! I hear you. Everybody's working from home these days.
The worst part is getting any real work done when you have access to so much exciting hardware to play around with :)

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu