O2 boots to X Windows instead of Irix Desktop - is this a file error?

kjf963

Apr 25, 2022
I have an O2 running 6.5 that's been in storage for a while, last boot was about 5 years ago and was normal, no problems. The system comes up and boots into the X Windows login, then logging in gets to a single unmovable window. The "desktop" command produces a core dump. Any thoughts about the cause of this? Sorry to cross-post, I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. Could it be a file read error/disk error? "chkconfig desktop" is ON.

Last edited:

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Just re-install Irix with booterizer... if there aren't any important files on it. If it fails maybe the hard disk is dieing.

kjf963

Apr 25, 2022
Thanks. I have the original cds, and can open the miniroot on boot to use inst. I could, I suppose, try to to re-install relevant 4DWM stuff. I'm curious - how can the drive cause this problem?

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Thanks. I have the original cds, and can open the miniroot on boot to use inst. I could, I suppose, try to to re-install relevant 4DWM stuff. I'm curious - how can the drive cause this problem?
I wouldn't waste your time, just re-install if there is no important data. How a faulty drive could cause a problem? Corrupted data I suppose.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu