O2 Audio device? and mpg123

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
Hi

I just installed mpg123 via SGUG RPM.

When I start an mp3 with mpg123 there is no sound.

I do have boot up and console sounds and according to hinv I have an Iris Audio Processor A3 with no AV card or camera.

I don't know the first thing about audio in IRIX or on O2, do I need to specify a device?

I tried plugging some headphones into the jacks on the side but they also only play boot and console sounds.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
According to @HAL in discord (and I wish he had posted it here!), mpg123 may be trying to use esound (esd), which you would have to install and run. Give that a try?

Reactions: jenna64bit

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Yep, like Elf said mpg123 needs esound. There are a couple audio jacks that it could go out through. The built in audio control panel will direct esound to whatever output I believe. Let us know if you need more detail on using that.

Reactions: Elf

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
There's only a source RPM in SGUG RSE 0.0.7. Is that the best way to install?

Anyway I ended up using the built in music player. The one that looks like a Winamp/XMMS clone.

At some point it would be sweet to have XMMS running.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu