NIC programming

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Good job fixing it! I wonder how it broke in the first place?
This is the first time I open up the SGI CPU module. While separating the baseplate and the heatsink, that voltage regulator got separated from the PCB. That heat transfer pad (more like a thin sticker) is stuck to the heatsink pulling the VR with it. The soldering pad on the PCB also got removed. Later on, I re-solder the VR back on PCB and reconnect the leg to the proper trace. What I did not realize is there are multiple connections. I guess I finally patch up the missing link.

Reactions: Elf

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Not sure what i did, I managed to get R12k 360mhz dual CPU module to boot. However, i got this message. Does anyone know what this means?
It is in that state for a long time so i shut it down. I reboot it and it went back to the old symptoms: no front light, fan on, nothing on the display.

283A873E-63EC-4E84-AE95-B247164D9874.jpeg

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Before we go any further what’s the part number of your motherboard? This specific dual 360mhz processor module is only designed to work with later octane motherboard revisions!

Also what version of Irix are you using?

Please read the second paragraph of the processor section: http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/systems/octane.html

If you are using a later board than the error literally means it’s often failed RAM, a bad driver for the hardware, or a hardware failure. Normal tlbmis isn’t supposed to cause a kernel panic and crash but often shows itself as a symptom of a kernel driver bug/issue or direct hardware interface issue ( compatibility) in Irix.

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Before we go any further what’s the part number of your motherboard? This specific dual 360mhz processor module is only designed to work with later octane motherboard revisions!

Also what version of Irix are you using?

Please read the second paragraph of the processor section: http://www.sgistuff.net/hardware/systems/octane.html

If you are using a later board than the error literally means it’s often failed RAM, a bad driver for the hardware, or a hardware failure. Normal tlbmis isn’t supposed to cause a kernel panic and crash but often shows itself as a symptom of a kernel driver bug/issue or direct hardware interface issue ( compatibility) in Irix.
I have the later board which supports 8gb ram. When it installed with a good cpu module, my Octane2 boots up fine so i know the only variable is the cpu module.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu