NFSv3 Install

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I've installed 6.5.26 from CD onto my O2, though I can't get NFS to install via SoftwareManager, it keeps complaining about not being compatible with the base eoe execution environment. For some reason my NFS CD won't read while going through the IRIX install process so I have to install it after.

I've tried various downloaded versions and all do the same.I know the distribution is OK as I've previously used the same files while doing a network install.

Any ideas?

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Nice work on finding the solution! :)

I however find it interesting that inst won't read it while going through the initial IRIX install?

Do you let inst read the disks in the following order: (This is an IRIX 6.5.30 example)

- irix6.5.30insttoolsOverlays1of3Aug2006
- irix6.5.30Overlays2of3Aug2006
- irix6.5.30Overlays3of3Aug2006
- IRIX-6.5 Foundation 1
- IRIX-6.5 Foundation 2
- IRIX Development Foundation 1.2 for IRIX 6.5
- IRIX 6.5 Development Libraries
- ONC3-NFS Version-3 for IRIX 6.2 Trough 6.5 05-99
- ApplicationsAug2006
- ComplementaryAppsAug2006

And then once inst is done do you type in the following commands:

- keep *
- install standard
- keep java2_plugin.sw32.mozilla_freeware
- keep inventor_dev.sw.base
- keep inventor_dev.sw.lib
- install eoe.sw.fonttools
- install eoe.sw.uucp
- install eoe.sw.xlv
- install eoe.sw.spell
- install ftn_eoe
- install inventor_eoe.sw64
- install ifl_eoe.sw64
- install dmedia_eoe.sw64
- install prereqs
- keep incompleteoverlays
- rem java_dev*
- go

I know it's boring listening to me speak for extended periods of time, but these two videos may help you, firstly to build up a working set of IRIX 6.5.22 disks and secondly how to complete the installation process successfully without any conflicts:

Last edited:

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
For my CD based install I loaded

- Overlays1of3
- Overlays2of3
- Overlays3of3
- Foundation 1
- Foundation 2
- Development Foundation
- Development Libraries
- Applications
- Complementary Apps
- Application 1998 (for the buttonfly demos)

NFS wouldn't load, but it loaded fine when logged in to the Desktop environment, and I know the actual distribution is in dist6.5, no matter what I pointed inst at it wouldn't have it.

and then all I have to do for a conflict free install is

keep *
install standard
rem java_dev*
go

install prereqs does nothing for later IRIX installs.

The system is up and I'm going through the motions of chkconfigs etc. to slim the startup process down to those I need and also disable non-essential services such as tftp, ftp etc. I'm also sorting system logging, ntp time syncing etc.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
It's wise to install inventor and the like straight up, as you will have far less conflicts with future installations, as there are certain applications that need it as a prerequisite in order to be installed!

Last edited:

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Yeah, both the 3D toolkit and Execution Environment were installed by default on mine, no need to specify anything in inst. The only thing that never gets installed is the vfc compiler, but as I'm on a 1600sw it doesn't matter for now.

I have to get Acrobat 4 back on the O2 though, xPDF is just sooo slow on a 250Mhz R10K proc.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu