New user - advice on running ScummVM

zxtheproto

May 14, 2022
Hi! I recently got a SGI O2 from a friend’s collection as a gift. I managed to get as far as installing IRIX 6.5 on it as a fresh install, and loading up SGIquake so far.

However, I was trying to run ScummVM, and ran into a problem - I just can’t seem to get the program to open, no matter what I do. Double-clicking initially gave a file type error, so I tried running exec on it from the commandline - “exec scummvm” - with no luck. The console window just immediately closed.

So, based on a post here, I tried changing the tag to 0x0 - that fixed the file typing error when clicking on it, but it still just immediately seemed to close.

Looking at other programs, I feel like it’s most likely that it needs either some sort of prerequisites or command line arguments of some kind. The problem is, I have no idea how to figure out what prerequisites or arguments it needs, given that it’s only provided as a folder with the program’s files, and the only documentation for the program doesn’t seem to mention much for the IRIX port. I’ve seen this build working on other SGI IRIX systems, though - any idea what I could be missing?

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
Welcome!

scummvm 2.2.0 runs fine here.

just open a terminal window, navigate to the directory containing the scummvm executable, then start it with "./scummvm". Do not use "exec" to start. If there is any issue, it will be shown in the terminal.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's an example of it running on my Tezro: (It installs pretty easily through nekoware!)

And here's an example of it running on my Sun Fire V880Z:

Last edited:

zxtheproto

May 14, 2022
Still doesn’t seem to want to work. Now it’s giving back a more specific error, though: “./scummvm: rld: Fatal Error: attempted access to unresolvable symbol in ./scummvm: strlcpy”

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
If it can't find strlcpy, probably the version of IRIX is too old. I think that came in at or around 6.5.22?

Just FYI, exec is to replace the currently running shell with an invoked command, the command will execute and once it terminates whatever session the shell was holding open will also terminate. If you want to be able to see error messages or run other subsequent commands, exec wouldn't be what you want. On the other hand if you do want the session to close, then it is helpful :)

zxtheproto

May 14, 2022
Fair enough. I think I’m just running a base 6.5 install - I haven’t installed any updates.

Any reason I shouldn’t just update to 6.5.30?

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Most Irix homebrew and ported software like scumm need at least IRIX 6.5.22 to work.

Reactions: Elf

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I use Irix 5.3 , 6.2 or 6.5.0 for my low specs SGI. I'm always interested in scummvm but Irix 6.5.22 works too slow with old sgi, some times I'd try to find a scummvm version to work in lower version than 6.5.22 but not found. Someone know if exist scummvm version for irix 5.3, 6.2 or 6.5.0?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Unfortunately I am not aware of any; there is scummvm for Nekoware but I would think it still requires a later 6.5. The only other likely collections out there are SGI Freeware and tgcware, but I don't think they have scummvm. 5.3 support with tgcware is probably the next best bet after 6.5 for software support. 6.2 and 6.3 I haven't seen much for at all.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu