New SGI owner - need help with SoftWindows

Wntersd

Feb 11, 2022
Hi everyone,

I've been able to recently bring up a new installation of IRIX 6.5.30 on my newly acquired Octane2. It's tied into my home network, and I have Reanimator working as well.

I can't however, figure out how to install Softwindows. I have an ISO file that shows no content at all, but I can see this file has data when I look at it in a binary editor. I've downloaded several versions of the ISO from different sites and they all have the same issue. Is there something special about mounting this file via Reanimator?

Alternatively, I also have a .img file, but I've had no luck whatsoever in using it for an installation. Any help with what I'm missing here?

I haven't found a tar image... obviously that would be simpler...

Thanks!
Don

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
If the ISO is in EFS format, it can't be mounted by default on Linux, like Reanimator. Try to transfer the ISO to the Octane, mount it on a directory and use that directory as source for Software Manager.
You can't loopback mount the EFS image in IRIX.
On linux you can mount the EFS image by specifying "-t efs"

$ mount -o loop -t efs ...

don't know if reanimator has the required efs fs module, but ubuntu can read it.

Linux-RISC

Apr 2, 2022
Spain
www.youtube.com
Ok, this works on Debian 11: sudo mount -o loop -t efs SoftWindows95-5.0-IRIX.iso /mnt

But it doesn't work on RaspiOS:
Code:
sudo mount -o loop -t efs SoftWindows95-5.0-IRIX.iso /mnt
mount: /diskless: unknown filesystem type 'efs'.
EFS support was removed from the kernel at some point.

Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu