Netsurf

praetor

Apr 26, 2019
Howdy y'all

I've been working on Netsurf, which will give us a modern browser in IRIX, complete with javascript provided by ducktape. I've been working with both the Netsurf guys, which are super nice folks, and people in the porting channel.

I have the rendering engine built along with ducktape and the netsurf css library. I'm just having issues with getting the GTK interface built. It works with the nekoware gtk, but something is being stupid.

My hope is if I can prove out a good build, we can go back to the source, remove my hacks, and put proper patches and such in so we can contribute upstream. I'd also like to see a motif interface built, as well as HTML5 video playback via gstreamer. So if there are some enterprising developers out there who need a project.

I'm REALLY excited to get this far. It means we'll be able to actually use the web on our SGIs. A netsurf dev also put in gopher support this morning, so that will be super cool too. A certain someone *cough* who will remain unnamed said this would be impossible, but I'm slowly defying the impossible.

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
that's a very nice surprise indeed. if i may suggest, it's probably a good idea not to bind the release date to the video playback or motif gui since these are additional goodies.

praetor

Apr 26, 2019
Oh, I'm not binding those goodies to the release date, but merely saying that's down the road for sure.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu