Netsurf Motif Available

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
The new netsurf build that DrMadison has been brewing (using Motif and eschewing the GTK2 of the previous release) is working well enough to play with. Jenna16bit was kind enough to package it up into a RPM and I've pushed it up to the Official SGUG Cloud Repo, where anyone using RSE 007 can easily install and play with it.

DrMad has another trick as well- this built isn't using GL rendering and once that is working it will be even faster. That is coming soon.

Meanwhile installing this is just a command away:

$ sudo /usr/sgug/bin/tdnf install netsurf-motif

If you have setup the offical cloud repo --- If not just read the thread here how to do it: Setup SGUG Cloud Repo it's very easy to do.

IMG_1492.png

Knezzen

Jun 24, 2019
Sweden
www.macintoshgarden.org
Thanks a ton for this you guys! I got a problem with the latest version (just updated using tdnf, not sure now new/old it is).
After using Netsurf for a while, I can't click some HTML elements, like the "Search" button at Google.
When I do, I get the error "NetSuff is running out of memory. Please free some memory and try again."

Restarting NetSurf doesn't help, but a restart of the system does the trick and NetSurf works for 10-15 minutes again.
Doesn anyone here have any idea what might be the problem?

• Sad
Reactions: TruHobbyist

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Thanks a ton for this you guys! I got a problem with the latest version (just updated using tdnf, not sure now new/old it is).
After using Netsurf for a while, I can't click some HTML elements, like the "Search" button at Google.
When I do, I get the error "NetSuff is running out of memory. Please free some memory and try again."

Restarting NetSurf doesn't help, but a restart of the system does the trick and NetSurf works for 10-15 minutes again.
Doesn anyone here have any idea what might be the problem?
I wasn't getting this on my 3gb ram+ machines, but on my newly acquired o2 with 128mb of ram I can't even do a google search, it says out of memory and doesn't respond. So it obviously is a memory issue as it states, but oddly, I have enabled a 2gb swapfile in IRIX but that hasn't made any difference at all. So I dunno.

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Just an update: I have upgraded my o2 to 1GB of RAM now, Netsurf still has this issue.

The problem occurs when clicking any kind of 'submit' button. So if you try to search on Google for instance, pressing 'search' will show the memory error in the console, but nothing will happen, the browser won't go anywhere when the button is pressed.

You can however still go to any website you want by typing the address in manually, then when on a forum I can click links without any issues, no memory errors.

So the system is NOT running out of memory, it's just some bug with those buttons.

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Yeah this is odd, I wonder if there's some different env variable set between working and non-working. Are you using the "sgugshell" script to set up your terminal and launch the program?

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
@Knezzen @jenna64bit

I found the solution, I realised that on my Octane I was using Jenna's .auxchestrc for launching Netsurf. I checked the command in that file and it is this:
Code:
netsurf-motif --block_advertisements --incremental_reflow=false --enable_javascript=false
I can confirm, launching Netsurf using these commands fixes the memory error problem.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu