My SGI Today

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
I'm going to start a thread I'll keep updated on anything hardware i'm doing to my SGIs.

Today, to kick it off will be more RAM for my ChallengeL.

IMG_1152.JPG

I've had this for a bit, and while I've been distracted with the Origin 2100 since that guy is acting wierd I'm going to get the Challenge L back up with I hope about 4G of RAM (it's max). I got this ram from ebay for a good price by lowballing someone who had visions of $$$ for this stuff. Finally, they relented and sold it to me for a reasonable price.

Popping it in my 2nd MC3 memory card and i'll boot up the C/L today and see what I got. It's also going to get a complete re-os install fresh today via Booterizer. I had initally set it up w/ a scsi2sd but the SCA 320 SCSI drives are much faster and have the space I need for DIDBS/SGUG compile work.

Reactions: Elf

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
So, Personal Iris RAM is pretty wacky. Here is an image of some it:

IMG_1156.JPG

And also, in my hand below is a 32G Ram module, behind it are 32 modules making just 2G, on a VME board that must weigh 10lbs loaded like this. I can only imagine the power draw of this thing.

IMG_1155.JPG

Reactions: Elf and callahan

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
Today I got fed up with all the serial port swapping on all my systems and got the first one actually working with my Cisco 2511 TAC. The 2511 gives me 16 serial port connections that I can access via telnet on my network.

With 16 available serial ports I should be able to connect up serial for:

1. Challenge
2. Personl Iris
3. Octane
4. O2
5. Fuel
6. L1 Fuel
7. Origin ???

Now i have one working I have to get the right pin out for the RJ45 to 9pin adapters that I'll need for each system.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.43.14 PM.png

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu