Monitor output issues with Fuel + V10

cz7asm

Dec 9, 2020
Hi, I'm having issues with a V10 GPU card installed in a Fuel. At the end of PROM console I get twice this following message:

odsy: frame buffer/fullscreen accum config causes oversubscription of sdram

I think I've seen this message before but never experienced the following issues:

- No monitor output using DVI->HDMI cable
- VGA output is OK; using DVI->VGA cable

I tried to decrease the resolution using setmon utility or the X Display Settings Dialog but I noticed this has only effect for the X session. The PROM always starts the display output with 1280x1024 resolution. This should be actually still ok for the V10 even when using the higher pixel depth.

The Fuel the V10 is in was using V12 before but I'm not sure this is relevant. I cleaned the PROM NVRAM content so there should be no residual settings left.

Does anyone have a similar experience?
Thanks

Screenshot 2023-06-21 172334.jpg

kubatyszko

Jan 29, 2020
Your hunch is correct. It's almost certainly some leftovers of the previously-installed V12).
If that Fuel also previously had a Flame or Dmedia installed, there may even be more custom configuration left over...

Are you certain your setmon succeeded ?

/usr/gfx/setmon -n 1280x1024_60

What VFO files do you have in there?

ls -la /usr/gfx/ucode/ODSY/vof/*.vfo

Lastly, it may not necessarily be about resolution setting. Look at "bits" setting as well. Going from 8bit to 16 or 24 bit also dramatically increases required memory.
From setmon(1) manpage:

-d[/B][I]fbdepthbytes[/I]
Specifies the depth of the framebuffer. [I]fbdepthbytes[/I] can be either
8 bytes per pixel ([B]-d8[/B]) or 16 bytes per pixel ([B]-d16[/B]).

This option requires the -x option and is only supported on [B]VPro[/B]
graphics.

Cheers.

Last edited:

cz7asm

Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for suggestions.
I tried basically all combinations of setmon settings. Depth, accum settings… None of those have any effect on the PROM display setup - this seems to be fixed. It only changes setup for the X server.
After all I borowed another V10 and all works so it seems it has nothing to do with the previously installed V12.
Since the card can output analog signal, it’s usable. It either needs some “special treating” or I’m doing something wrong or it’s simply broken.

kubatyszko

Jan 29, 2020
Hmm, I did some digging in the archives and I see at least two other users who ended up replacing their V10 to solve that "oversubscription" error.
I guess you're out of luck.
If you're willing to keep trying, my first step would be to replace memory chips. Maybe PROM is trying to exercise the memory and finds there isn't the minimum 32MB it's expecting ? It's hard to get to the chips, there are a few on each side of the board, including under that huge heatsink that's hard to remove...

Cheers

cz7asm

Dec 9, 2020
What is strange that it works fine using VGA output. Even with highest resolution possible. That I think undermines the theory about bad memory chips - what do you think?
Speaking of replacing memory chips. I wonder if one could replace the chips with the 128MB variant used in V12 and magically upgrade the V10 to V12. Of course there could be plenty of other differences and most likely at least some sort of an ID is flashed somewhere (or maybe not). But the possibility is interesting.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu