Modelling the CM-2 Connection Machine Using Maya 6.5 on an SGI Tezro

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Today I transferred the component set that I built up in Maya 6.5 to Blender on my Mac, for assembly and final rendering. When you export a ".mb" file from Maya to a ".obj" file, which can be imported into Blender, you loose the textures that you assigned to the model, so in this case i'm going to have to setup all of the texture defining nodes for this model in Blender.

This image shows the imported model as well as the arrangement of nodes that I've setup in Blender to denoise the output of the Cycles render engine:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I think I'm definitely going to need a much more powerful computer!!! (This rendering brought my Mac to its knees, crashing it once the output was saved!)

This is the initial phase of the node board building process!

This is the current size of the .blend file!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
There was a problem with my model, that I was not aware of, being that every vertex in the scene was superimposed THREE TIMES, so today I spent many hours deleting the "overlays" and now the machine is performing perfectly! (Here's the latest progress, I'll definitely be able to build up a complete board now!!! :) )

Last edited:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
The components are now all at least on the board! Next come the "LED CPU status bar", the "securing gear" and the "bus interface connectors"! Finally I will add the required silkscreening to the board and try to sort out the labelling of the components to the top right of the board to the best of my ability, as I don't possess a high resolution image of that part of the board!

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu