Lenovo L192p display not working with Indy

racc

Mar 30, 2019
I have used Indy (XZ graphics) with Samsung SyncMaster 225BW display. I wanted to upgrade to a bit nicer screen, and bought an old Lenovo ThinkVision L192p (1280x1024 and by spec supports sync on green). I am using a 13W3-VGA adapter bought from Ian.

Surprisingly, it looks that the L192p does not seem to recognize the Indy at all. I got already scared with the GPU had broken. But no, Indy works with the Samsung display like before. Correspondingly, the L192p VGA input works OK with my laptop.

I didn't notice the display complaining anything. It just briefly tells there is no signal, and goes to standby.

Basic spec of the L192p can be found from: https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=877/ENUSZG06-0921

Is there some obvious thing why this even shouldn't work? Or can default timings be somehow so wrong the display doesn't even recognize the GPU because of it? Something to test with setmon? Other ideas?

I did order another cable (https://www.ebay.com/itm/270832512031) but I'm not especially hopeful it makes a difference.

racc

Mar 30, 2019
I can verify this again when I'll get chance, but I'm pretty sure it gave only solid amber led. There was no any kind of image from the Indy, not even during boot. Screen was just black before soon briefly showing dialog (about no signal). There was no option to enter the OSD menu.

With laptop it worked and it was possible to do factory reset from OSD, but that didn't make any difference.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I have noticed some monitors, despite ostensibly being SoG capable, don't seem to like various machines for reasons that are hard to identify. I've used the DIP switch 13W3 to VGA cables and sync strippers to try and make things more "regular" with some success, but it also might just be easier or cheaper to continue monitor hunting, unfortunately.

Reactions: racc

racc

Mar 30, 2019
Thanks for your input Elf!

I today finally received the DIP-switch 13W3-VGA cable (model 82000) I ordered in November (the seller did report shipping on Nov 28th...) :D

It worked right away! The first (and only) setting tested was SW6 on, others off. If I'm interpreting the manual sheet right this simply disables composite, horizontal and vertical sync pins. Will be interesting to compare what was different with the adapter+VGA cable.

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu