Latest ioQuake3 source patched for Irix

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hey all,

If anyone is interested I was recently sick with the flu and had some time on my hands so I patched quake 3 source to compile on Irix (6.5, sgug-rse) just posting it here if anyone would like to play around with it without having all the Hassel of making it compile in the first place.

I left my compiled binaries in the build folder for anyone who doesn't want to recompile or has a very slow machine. Of course you'd need to get your own idsoftware Q3 Pak files as I can't include them.

There seems to be an issue with SDL2 in sgug (we think) where it can't open an accelerated opengl window. Hopefully some magical code pixies can come and fix that...

I'll make a list of the changes I made when I have some time. But it wasn't anything major. Just adding header files that Irix needed in different places. And the odd compiler option here and there.

Cheers

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Nice work! At some point I'm sure one of the usual SGUG-RSE porters might be willing to work with you to get it packaged as an RPM, then one could just tdnf install it :)

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
I managed to get SDL2.0.12 compiling and linking.

When using SGUG LD_PATH ioquake3 segfaults.
With default LD_PATH is starts but can't find any visual.

I can compile and run SDL code with software renderer, but no accelerated renderer.

Can't figure out to get any OpenGL code to link with SGUG GCC.

I end up having to link libGLcore.so but then there are undefined references to different XSGIMisc functions.

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
I just tried compiling ioquake3 my self, but I keep running in to the same problem.

/usr/sgug/.../9/include/stdint.h: fatal error: stdint.h no such file or directory
9| #include_next <stdint.h>

With SDL2 I "fixed" it by adding -ffreestanding to CFLAGS.

Is this a bug in SGUG RSE 0.0.7 or something with my install?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
@onre also has a working SDL 2 in an RSE environment using his own set of patches (it isn't unique to irixnet) but it didn't make it into an RPM. Unfortunately @onre is taking a break from SGI things at the moment, but it's possible someone else has his work around.

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hey @Dacobi if you fancy compiling an SDL1 compatible version of ioQuake3 I extracted the patch file from the Nekoware ioQuake3 1.36 from the beta archives. Here are the files. Only thing I don't know is what the exact version was of ioquake3 they used, I think it's a very old version.

Attachments

Reactions: Dacobi

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
The current SGUG-RSE has SDL2 but CPU-bound and not OpenGL accelerated. ioQuake3 would be a fantastic use for this when it's nice and fast.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu