Large Lot of SGI in Northern California

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
I recently acquired a substantial load of sgi gear from the estate of a former sgi employee. Some units are still in original boxes with padding that i will probably list on ebay over the next few months. The other units i would like to sell as a lot to a local buyer. I live in Modesto California, about 90 miles from silicon valley. The lot I want to sell locally includes:
Workstations 320, 330, zx10, and two 550.
four 1400 servers and two ds1100 disk racks.
420c monitor

There is more, but i havent sorted through it all yet. Many of the boxes have old shipping labels and indicate some were used as demo models at trade shows and sent to magazines for review purposes.

Ive found little info about the 1400 in the second hand market. What value do they have if any?

DBJ 974

May 11, 2020
As Irinikus wrote post some pictures even of the entire lot ... we have good eyes to see what you have got ;-)

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
About 15 new keyboards still in boxes and 6 used ones. one uses usb connector, others ar ps2 style. One is light gray, others are dark grey. Five sets of polk/sgi speakers
DSCN2922.JPG
DSCN2922.JPG

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
two 1600sw monitors. most i see online are dark grey, one of these is translucent white... rare?
DSCN2971.JPG

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
One of the 550 units has a sticker on back indicating its a prototype unit for 'trio 32' not for resale. i looked inside and it has a motherboard, but no cpu, ram, or hdd
DSCN3043.JPG

Reactions: Linux-RISC

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
two 1400 servers boxed with sealed software and cords packages. I also have two more 1400 servers without boxes.
DSCN2932.JPG
DSCN2934.JPG
DSCN2935.JPG

johnnym

Aug 7, 2022
Hi, I'm too far away for a purchase actually, but had a 230 once, but gave it back to the scrapbox for someone else to fetch. But it would be too cool if you could take some more detailed photos (exterior and interior) from one of these 1400 servers because there's not much available on the web or at least I can't find much about them.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
The SGI 1400 does look pretty interesting!

I may be interested in purchasing one.

Here are some details of this type of system: (It's a quad slot 2 system, which can accommodate four 500MHz PIII Xeons)

It lacks an AGP slot, but has six PCI slots. (Perfect for an Nvidia GT 430!)

Last edited:

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
the white one is Radius Artica rebranded version of 1600SW
Interesting. Mine has sgi logos on it, the back label says sgi, and the factory box it came in says sgi1600sw. The artica model photos ive found online have an artica label on the backside, not sgi. On mine, the sgi logo on the front is actually a sticker, perfectly placed and with the exact teal hue of the accent plastic. But.... in bright light you can see the artica logo beneath the sticker. I think this might be another prototype or non-resale unit. The box has a shipping label to DV magazine loaner [digital video]
DSCN3122.JPG
DSCN3123.JPG
. perhaps this was a review unit sent out for publicity?

DBJ 974

May 11, 2020
Interesting. Mine has sgi logos on it, the back label says sgi, and the factory box it came in says sgi1600sw. The artica model photos ive found online have an artica label on the backside, not sgi. On mine, the sgi logo on the front is actually a sticker, perfectly placed and with the exact teal hue of the accent plastic. But.... in bright light you can see the artica logo beneath the sticker. I think this might be another prototype or non-resale unit. The box has a shipping label to DV magazine loaner [digital video]View attachment 2342View attachment 2343. perhaps this was a review unit sent out for publicity?
I have the same model : it is a 1600sw eventually used for expo or demo. On radius artica there is RAdius logo where the SGI edge is placed and Radius Artica name in the first upper part of the label. Both version have a "technology by sgi" on the foot-base

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
Ive had good luck so far. I sold the boxed 550 and the boxed 330 for $600 each. They sold within a day of posting, so I think I underpriced them. Also sold an external drive for 75. One interesting thing is the 330 actually had a 330L silkscreen label on the case. This denotes its a Linux machine, but others ive seen that were originally sold as linux machines dont have the L on the case.
DSCN3160.JPG

Attachments

sksaudio

May 2, 2023
I just put up two listings on ebay. one for the two unboxed 1400's, the other is a 7x lot consisting of five visual workstations with the two ds1100 drive arrays. The zx10 workstation has a rare high end graphics card, Intergraph Intense 3d Wildcat 4210 (msmt527)
DSCN3106.JPG

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu