Jet Turbine Coffee Table

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Looks good; nice to see the rendering of the table! Some lighting from inside the rim or underneath might add effect?

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Looks good; nice to see the rendering of the table! Some lighting from inside the rim or underneath might add effect?
Here's a short description of how the table will be constructed:

The top of the table will consist of a black granite ring holding a thick circular piece of inset glass, which will cover the turbine.

I intend to use a red-stained Maple for the table's wooden structure. The lower wooden ring will also feature inset glass, like that found in the granite top, forming a glass shelf below.

The inset glass will rest on a circular "inner ledge", routed into the granite, and the turbine itself will be held in place by resting on a circular "inner ledge" routed into the wooden stricture below, being hold in place around its edge and thus allowing you to see through it.

As for possible lighting effects, I don't want to build lighting into the table. (To be honest, this RGB craze then the world is going through currently isn't to my taste!!!) What may make sense here however, is to place a free-standing upward-firing light on the glass shelf below the turbine. That would be more classy in my opinion.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I would not recommend RGB lighting either, but a soft and even light source like high color temp strip lighting with a diffuser might give better high-key illumination and preserve the "modern" look of the machinery versus a flood fixture. Since you have it all in 3D though, I am sure you could the simulate lighting either way to see if it gives the desired effect.

Reactions: Irinikus

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I should hopefully receive the turbine disc tomorrow! :)

I got seriously screwed over when it came to the Tax and Duty I had to pay on it!!!!!! 40% of the 1200UKP (including shipping) that I payed for it!!! Holy Shite!!!

I hate loosing money in this way!!!

I don't usually pay duty on computers!!!!!

The seller that I bought it from has another one for sale!

Here's the link:

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Wntersd

Feb 11, 2022
Boy am I jealous.. that's a cool idea!

for the record, it isn't one piece of titanium though. All of those vanes are machined individually and pressed into those bulbous slots.... they are actually replaceable when they wear out from service...

Where did you get it?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu