It's possible upgrade Indy XL 8 bits to 24 bits?

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Checking pictures of XL 8 bits and 24 bits graphics boards for Indy I appreciate that XL 8bits is the same board with less vRAM chips. Someone try to upgrade vram in XL 8 bits?

fraserN64

Aug 20, 2019
sites.google.com
Depopulating parts is a nice easy way to create 2 products from 1.
The downside is that there could be other differences, that tell the system how to recognize the difference besides just more memory.
8-bit is a palette format and 24-bit is RGB Framebuffer, so there is probably at least 1 other difference. Could be as small as a resistor jumper or as large as a different version of an IC, just have to look really close.

Reactions: Elf

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
I think there were other support chips, but who knows. I think this has been covered before, so you might want to search around the net on old IRIX/SGI archives for the answer. You're not the first to think about it :)
XL24 cards are pretty cheap tho so you might just want to try and find one first.

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I think there were other support chips, but who knows. I think this has been covered before, so you might want to search around the net on old IRIX/SGI archives for the answer. You're not the first to think about it :)
XL24 cards are pretty cheap tho so you might just want to try and find one first.
Not found any info about a possible upgrade.

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Old newsgroups are awesome. You can search them on Google, cause google stores all bits in the universe, and mines it just like it mines your brain ;)

gdouglas@reputable.com's profile photo

gdouglas@reputable.com
unread,
Nov 24, 1999, 1:00:00 AM

to
valayden wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to upgrade a XL8 to XL24 ?
> (By soldering memory on board.....)

Yes and no. You will need to solder on a bunch of RAM chips,
and a couple of SGI memory ASICs in very fine pitch surface mount
packages, and a few hundred discrete resistors and capacitors,
some in 0603 package or smaller. The only place I know to get
the ASICS is from another XL-24 board.

> Where can I buy a cheap XL24 ?

Most of the SGI resellers have them, they should run under
$100. Check in comp.sys.sgi.marketplace
--
---------------------------
Greg Douglas
Reputable Systems
http://www.reputable.com

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu