Issue with an O2 - help please

drchristhorpe

Oct 3, 2021
Hi, after a long break (used an Indigo/Indigo2/Indy in the past as a scientist) I decided to buy an O2 off of eBay.

It’s a nice condition machine seemingly and talked to a VGA monitor without a hitch, however it won’t boot and my attempt to get it to install from a CD-ROM always results in this error message.

Does anyone have any ideashow to troubleshoot/fix please?

many thanks
Chris
C8CC0123-DBE7-4D59-8DB5-D6FB51E9E68B.jpeg

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi Chris, does this happen at the beginning, middle or roughly in the same place during the install?

Can you get to the prom and run a diagnostic?

Also, do you know the specs of the O2? CPU, ram etc? This error looks like it may be a bad DIMM module. Also, are you booting from original CDs or copies? If they are copies you need ones burnt from the EFS image files or from the original discs....But I'm guessing a bad DIMM.

Last edited:

drchristhorpe

Oct 3, 2021
Hi Chris, does this happen at the beginning, middle or roughly in the same place during the install?

Also, do you know the specs of the O2? CPU, ram etc? This error looks like it may be a bad DIMM module. Also, are you booting from original CDs or copies? If they are copies you need ones burnt from the EFS image files or from the original discs....But I'm guessing a bad DIMM.
Hi there

Thank you for help. It’s right at the start of the process, same place every time. Can also make it happen at the same point when trying to run diagnostics. All using original SGI media.

Is there a command I can run to test the DIMMs or other subsystems please?

Best wishes and thank you
Chrid

drchristhorpe

Oct 3, 2021

Should have said it’s an R5000 180MHz with 192Mb of RAM and a full AV board

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi there

Thank you for help. It’s right at the start of the process, same place every time. Can also make it happen at the same point when trying to run diagnostics. All using original SGI media.

Is there a command I can run to test the DIMMs or other subsystems please?

Best wishes and thank you
Chrid
only really the PROM diagnostics from what I can think of. I’ll get my O2 out of storage on the weekend.

Suggestion - power down and pull the power plug out completely.

Pull the system tray out, clean all the dimm contacts. Try the dims in pairs. If you get a panic after trying a new dimm pair you’ve likely found your culprit. Also, make sure to clean all contacts, reseat the AV board, reseat the cpu and when you push the system board back in make sure it’s all the way in.

Which version of Irix are you installing?

edit just to say, never pull the O2 system tray / board out while the power plug is connected. In fact, I pull mine and then press the power button to discharge any residual current in the psu before pulling the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and chulofiasco

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu