Is this a Dual Head V10?

bjjames

May 2, 2022
At first I thought this was 2 v10 cards on the carrier, but the stencilling indicated monitor A and B.

I currently have a V12 in my octane, would using this dual head v10 be noticeably slower using Maya/SI3D in terms of viewport performance? I have been on the lookout for years searching for a dual head solution for my two SGI 24” 1920x1200 monitors.

Attachments

bjjames

May 2, 2022
I’m thinking the DCD for the V12 would split the memory between the 2 heads, if this board contains 2 V10s, that would be 32mb per head vs 64mb per head using the DCD.

I would be courious to hear from others who have used the 32 mb and 128mb and noticed a significant increase in viewport performance in either Maya or SI.

bjjames

May 2, 2022
Just thought of something.. the dual v10 has the special dual xio carrier. Now I’m wondering if I can install my v12 on the top and have the v10 on the bottom.
thoughts?

Reactions: chulofiasco

bjjames

May 2, 2022
Just installed the v12 into the dual v10 carrier and it works perfectly. System reports both the V12 as the primary and V10 as the secondary and reports the correct memory amounts. Didn’t have to install any software, literally plug and play.

pauliedweasel

Nov 25, 2023
Prescott, Arizona
Back in 2005 I remember seeing a couple of Dual V12 graphics cards show up on EBay, but at $1,500 I just couldn’t justify buying them. In the years since then I haven’t seen anymore pop up on the market. I’m guessing that the Dual V10 and V12 boards really gave the 747 watt Cherokee power supply a work out.

pauliedweasel

Nov 25, 2023
Prescott, Arizona
Just installed the v12 into the dual v10 carrier and it works perfectly. System reports both the V12 as the primary and V10 as the secondary and reports the correct memory amounts. Didn’t have to install any software, literally plug and play.
I’m wondering if you pop a second V12 on the carrier if you could make it a dual V12 which it sounds like you could since the single V12 seems happy from your description. Because of retirement and moving to another state it’s been six years since I’ve had time to fool with any of my SGI stuff (It took me almost two years to move all of it from California to Arizona) and if I recall correctly all the V12 boards I have came with dual DVI ports on them which means you could ultimately run four monitors of a dual V12

mashek

Mar 24, 2023
The DCD option gives you dual DVI output (there's then 3 physical ports but only 2 outputs) per V12 card, so with 2 V12's, each with a DCD, you could have 4 monitor outputs. Add 2x600MHz processors and 8GB of memory, and a 15Krpm hard drive, and yeah, I think that would be quite a power hungry machine. I think the 747Watt Cherokee could handle it though.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu