IRIX newb questions

WMSGI

May 26, 2022
Afternoon All,

Have some general newb questions if anyone can assist.

1. Can I share my O2 CD over the network to perform an Irix install on another SGI box?
  2. Being familiar with Linux, is there a similar command in Irix to auto populate the path you are typing via tab or repeat last command via up arrow?
  3. I used to back up my Linux system using grsync to an external drive, I have a DAT drive on my Octane is rsync recommend or just the backup Software included with Irix?
Thank you

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
This thread that I just posted will answer your question:

Reactions: jenna64bit

WMSGI

May 26, 2022
This thread that I just posted will answer your question:

Thank you, I also just discovered the remote mount options as well, and able to share my FTP dir on the O2.

Reactions: jenna64bit

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
Being familiar with Linux, is there a similar command in Irix to auto populate the path you are typing via tab or repeat last command via up arrow?
change the default shell in your user account to "tcsh", that one has tab autocomplete etc

Reactions: WMSGI

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
For backup options, the filesystem specific dump/restore tools will give you whole filesystem backup images that can be fully restored, and rsync or tar can be used for file level backup. I would probably stick to standard UNIX tools like the above unless you want to use the IRIX specific utilities for fun :)

Reactions: WMSGI

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu