Interesting early analog HDVS laserdisc dumps

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
Hey guys, I'm glad I can contribute to the SGI community. I need some info about the best way to rip SGI CDs, I'm not very technical inclined, I'm a 3D artist.

About the manuals I definitely don't have the time to scan or photograph one by one. I can ask for a quote for a professional scanning of each page, I'm open to other suggestions tho.

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Hey guys, I'm glad I can contribute to the SGI community. I need some info about the best way to rip SGI CDs, I'm not very technical inclined, I'm a 3D artist.

About the manuals I definitely don't have the time to scan or photograph one by one. I can ask for a quote for a professional scanning of each page, I'm open to other suggestions tho.
You have acces to a Linux computer?

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
Well bad news, they don't want to scan it because of copyright laws, it's all fun and games until legal stuff kicks in. I forgot completly about these legal issues, so I won't be sharing it, sorry...

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Really all of our activity it's a hobby because nobody try to produce or work with this technologies. All our SGI systems and software are defunct technologies, companies and products. All our activity is abandonware of obsolete technologies and no company is harmed or lost sales.
I don't see a problem from a collecting point of view either, a copy will never replace an original for a collector, nor will it devalue its value. Copies help us to explore, learn, share and preserve software that would otherwise have disappeared forever.
If no one had shared copies before, today we lost of a lot of software and their history, and possibly forums like this one would hardly be of interest or computers like the SGI would not make sense to keep them and keep them operational over time.

Last edited:

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
I agree with all that, but your words don't turn into law, neither are you a lawyer, I suppose? I'm not risking because I've seen the improbable becoming real too many times. My desire was too share all this because I believe in all you said, but I completly forgot about the legal issues and Autodesk owns AW rights for 50 years at least.

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Upload to archive.org . US laws consider the preservation of abandonware as heritage and it is legal. Don't worry, if Autodesk or some other company is not satisfied, they send to archive.org an email and they delete it without problems.

Archive.org have copies of oldest Maya and Softimage software and manuals ( Maya 1-2-3 ) and they have never received a deletion notification from autodesk and many other companies. Of course if you upload Maya 2015 or something similar Archive.org delete it inmediatly.

From a legal point of view you only share a backup copy of the software installer for preservation, at no time do you share your activation or license.

Last edited:
Reactions: bitpak

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
I agree with all that, but your words don't turn into law, neither are you a lawyer, I suppose? I'm not risking because I've seen the improbable becoming real too many times. My desire was too share all this because I believe in all you said, but I completly forgot about the legal issues and Autodesk owns AW rights for 50 years at least.
Hiya! I have worked with several legal departments, and I really can see almost no situation where anyone would put an expensive lawyer on a chase after abandonware software which has no use. Companies think economically. If you are not selling copies of the software or selling ads on a illegal download site (i.e. you are not making a profit on their work), and as there is no market for "retro applications" (unlike retro games), I cannot see how they would care. Companies would only have costs chasing down 3-4 enthusiasts of ancient versions of their products (with little money to collect or damages to prove). But - it's of course completely up to you - it's your risk after all - and thanks for sharing photos of the software set! However, I would be happy if you would consider putting the software on ebay or for sale - so it could be saved somehow...?

Reactions: kikems

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu