Indy solid red light

pastaiolosubaqueo

Oct 18, 2023
Hello everyone, this is my first post here I hoped I could have made more normal presentation đŸ˜…
I'm the owner of an SGI Indy R4000 64MB of RAM that I got it from an used store some time ago, the system used to work fine but as of yesterday I see a Solid RED light and the system resuses to boot up.
I've read trough the manual that it might indicate a Graphic card, CPU or Motherboard issue, my current guess is the CPU as it the heatsink seems incredibly hot while I try to boot it up.
I've read there were some methods to diagnose via serial to see what the issue might be more specifically, but those were for O2 not an Indy.
Do you know if there's any way to further detect what type of issue I'm having? Replacing a piece blind seems a rather expensive option (and there's doesn't seem to be SGI resellers in UE at all?)
Thanks for your help in advice!

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
While I've not tried this myself, it's more likely your PSU is now missing a voltage rail, which the mainboard detects as a failure. I repair Indy PSUs here: https://forums.irixnet.org/thread-3332.html

I have seen SGI Indy PSUs start up (thinking everything is Okay) while totally missing their 5V rail. You could easily verify this with a multimeter on the PSU connector using the wiring pinout on this website. If your'e missing the rail, check for a short on the PSU connector for that wire, if no short, then get a replacement PSU.

pastaiolosubaqueo

Oct 18, 2023
While I've not tried this myself, it's more likely your PSU is now missing a voltage rail, which the mainboard detects as a failure. I repair Indy PSUs here: https://forums.irixnet.org/thread-3332.html

I have seen SGI Indy PSUs start up (thinking everything is Okay) while totally missing their 5V rail. You could easily verify this with a multimeter on the PSU connector using the wiring pinout on this website. If your'e missing the rail, check for a short on the PSU connector for that wire, if no short, then get a replacement PSU.
Unfortunatelly for me I don't really have the tools or skills to check it, altrough I do have a spare PSU that I can test in this days hoping it didn't fry my CPU. Thanks for the help I'll take in consideration about the PSU repair but it doesn't seem too worth considering I payed the whole machine 50 EUR
đŸ¤”

pastaiolosubaqueo

Oct 18, 2023
Hello, I'm gonna post another update here. I was able to test some components from another Indy that I recently got. I've inserted a MIPS R4600 CPU on my "solid red light indy" and the PC booted up (except some polarity error which I think it's related to the firmware), I've also tested the PSU on the other machine and it worked fine. Once I've inserted the MIPS R4000 CPU from my "solid red light indy" to a working one, the working PC began to show the same synthoms as the broken one. I concluded that my CPU simply has failed sadly :cry:

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu