Indy RAM suppliers

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Does anyone have a good supplier for the 72 pin parity 60-70ns SIMMs usable as Indy RAM? Ideally still selling the 32MB sticks.

I used to go to MemoryX for these sorts of things but unfortunately they seem to have gone under.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
If you're looking to max out an Indy system (256MB) with nice CHEAP ram...I've personally bought several eBay lots of HP D4892A part number RAM. I got the idea from Indigo2 GigaRAM builds that use the same series of HP RAM (only bigger). I've recently gotten each stick of the above mentioned ram for around $8-$10 a piece. Also great because all the RAM is identical and appearance and spec, so no issues.

HP Part numbers for RAM are great hidden vintage tech.

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Good tip, thank you. Not so much on eBay at the moment but I will keep an eye out :)
Do you also have any memory dealers / resellers you favor?

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Indeed, very hard to find O2 memory anymore :(

It may be an unpopular opinion of a sort, but with the plastics crumbling (especially internally, not just externally / cosmetically) and with the difficulty in obtaining RAM, it might be a hard system to recommend to new users anymore.

glitchwrks

Jun 18, 2020
Central VA
www.glitchwrks.com
Seller will accept an offer of $12.50/ea if you're buying more than one, free shipping in the USA. Tested in my R4400 Indigo2, works fine:

No affiliation.

RDP

Oct 19, 2021
Hello all,

I'm seeing two active suppliers listed here, MemoryMatsers, and Keystron. I want to add 128mb (32x4) to my IP20 Indigo, which means I need a close, or matching set of four to make a single bank. How does one communicate with these sellers to ensure that you get a fully matching set? I ask since most places will only sell you up to two/pair at a time when matched?

And to confirm, I'm looking for FPM, parity, 70ns or faster 72-pin SIMMs, correct?

many thanks,
RDP

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hi! It looks like you are in luck with the Indigo 1 that actually takes standard RAM? 😄

As far as a matching set, when I ordered from Memorymasters all the sticks were identical. You could probably ask, but I think this is the case by default for them at least.

I've only populated Indy and Indigo 2, but from my understanding the IP20 uses 72 pin parity FPM SIMMs, not sure what speed but I assume 70ns like the other platforms would be okay? Maybe someone else knows more specifically.

At least this page lists the memory as:
R4000 Indigo, Indy, Indigo 2: Industry Standard 72 pin pop-up, fast page-mode (FPM, a common variety; NOT EDO memory); "true parity"; 60-70ns.

RDP

Oct 19, 2021
Ok thanks, that points me to Memory Masters then for my first try!

I think they are bog standard parity non-EDO as you note.

Will post results later!

thanks
RDP

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
It is very boring to look for fit memory...
who can provide the datasheets of these proper memory?
Then ,eneryone can look for them acording to that standard.

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
There is no datasheet. You just have to use what SGI specified.
Thanks for your reply.
I feel very fine now, I just got the 8X32M memory for my Indigo2 Impact.:D
Success to expand my lovely Indigo2's memory from 128M to 384M.
Then I can install and try some design software.
Now I looking for 4MB Texture module for my HighImpact graphic card sets.

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
oh, I just remember that the seller I have bought has some FPM 32M 72bit memory modules.
But I don't know how I can provide these memories for friends who needs them.

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
oh, I just remember that the seller I have bought has some FPM 32M 72bit memory modules.
But I don't know how I can provide these memories for friends who needs them.
You can send me a direct message, if you like, with the info. I have both an Indigo2 like yours that I'd like 256MB for, and two Indys that could use another 256MB total. So I'm looking for about 16 SIMMs, depending on the price...

Were these SIMMs gold plated? Who was the original manufacturer?

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
You can send me a direct message, if you like, with the info. I have both an Indigo2 like yours that I'd like 256MB for, and two Indys that could use another 256MB total. So I'm looking for about 16 SIMMs, depending on the price...

Were these SIMMs gold plated? Who was the original manufacturer?
I have asked the seller, waitting for his reply.
The memory new installed are compatible with old one, runs well.
I used them for a few days, encounter no problems basically.
These memories portrait as below:
72-32M memory.jpg

72-32M memory detail.jpg

Last edited:

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
I guess we live too far away from each other. I live in China mainland.
The seller info is on an android app from China, not on Ebay..
We will need look for a proper purchase method...:D

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu