Indy Power Supply information

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
@Elf Hi Elf! Can you explain how did you managed to run the PSU without connecting it to the motherboard, please?
I have a Nidec that needs to be recapped and tested (while being disconnected from the rest of the system) so I'm trying to understand the logic and the sequence of what voltage goes where after you connect the PSU to the AC..

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
@Elf Hi Elf! Can you explain how did you managed to run the PSU without connecting it to the motherboard, please?
I have a Nidec that needs to be recapped and tested (while being disconnected from the rest of the system) so I'm trying to understand the logic and the sequence of what voltage goes where after you connect the PSU to the AC..
Please, read the first page of the this thread - it's fully explained, by Elf, that the Indy PSU naturally runs WITHOUT it's IDC mainboard connection. However it won't be able to regulate very well without some kind of load on the PSU. I find loading 2A on the 5V and 12V lines works fine for testing.

Just like the Non-Impact Indigo2, the PSUs run just by plugging them into the AC wall outlet, the secondary connector that connects the mainboard via IDC cable STOPs natural startup from happening by grounding out the Run line. The other PSUs require jumpering to run.

Reactions: bitpak

toncho11

Jul 18, 2023
Hi @Elf ,

How is the project for the new Indy power supply going?
I have one power supply that does not work and one that does. I think they both need to be recapped.
But maybe building your new power supply is a better idea?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hi @Elf ,

How is the project for the new Indy power supply going?
I have one power supply that does not work and one that does. I think they both need to be recapped.
But maybe building your new power supply is a better idea?
Hi! Sorry for the very late response. At this point recapping is something you can do, but buying my power supply is something that isn't possible, so I would just recommend recapping 😅

I've been moving out of my rural WA property since May (which is a much more involved, time consuming, backbreaking, and expensive process than moving out of just a house) and have just rounded the corner on selling it, but everything I own is in storage and even before that I hadn't been working on that power supply project for probably a good year or more. For anyone else that is curious about it, the Indy Power Supply replacement is just one of those half (or in this case, 90%) completed projects that unfortunately accumulate. If you're reading this a month or a year or two from now, I would just assume it is still unfinished (unless I have posted any other updates); not because it is particularly difficult, but just because I haven't been putting any time into the project.

Reactions: CRaven

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu